2nd transfer about to get harder?

El Paso Eagle

My first take is that this is a positive change for schools, but a 50/50 for the players. The previous rules allowed players to exploit the system when they didn't get the start treatment they expected immediately. Many players transfer to be closer to their families and hometowns, and while that's all and good, others were transferring multiple times to advance themselves only. Programs and the player's own development were significantly impacted by the exploiting players and these short-sighted decisions compounded that. 

Kids are going to have to make a more serious decision based on the new rules when deciding to transfer, and that's not a bad thing. They'll learn that their commitments mean something more than a single year.

These kids all think they'll start immediately because they were the star of their HS team and then warm the bench while they develop into a legitimate FBS player. This will partially fix that, so I approve. 

Not that anyone asked my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

My first take is that this is a positive change for schools, but a 50/50 for the players. The previous rules allowed players to exploit the system when they didn't get the start treatment they expected immediately. Many players transfer to be closer to their families and hometowns, and while that's all and good, others were transferring multiple times to advance themselves only. Programs and the player's own development were significantly impacted by the exploiting players and these short-sighted decisions compounded that. 

Kids are going to have to make a more serious decision based on the new rules when deciding to transfer, and that's not a bad thing. They'll learn that their commitments mean something more than a single year.

These kids all think they'll start immediately because they were the star of their HS team and then warm the bench while they develop into a legitimate FBS player. This will partially fix that, so I approve. 

Not that anyone asked my opinion. 

Since no one is asking our opinions 😇

If you transfer after your 2nd season, I would allow an additional Grad Transfer without delaying (not one if you had not graduated)
If you transfer after only one year, unless the HC coach leaves, or you can prove the hardship, you would not be allowed the 2nd no-wait, including a Grad transfer.

20 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Do double transfers happen a bunch? 

I've noticed it a bunch in basketball. The only current ones that come to mind in football who've gotten legitimate playing time are Siggers, Jack Plummer, and JT Daniels who's got to be on his 4th school but I'm sure there's more than just those three. Then there's guys like Latrell Neville who've never been starters but it doesn't appear he's going to find a home on his second transfer anyways.

I don't like the second transfer unless the first was to a JUCO. I think when you look at guys like Siggers, JT Daniels, and Jack Plummer, it's easy to see where problems can arise moving forward especially for the G5s. I'd hate to become like a JUCO where guys transfer to for a year so they can build up their resume and jump back to a P5. I don't have an issue with transferring once because I realize 18 year olds are going to make bad choices but after one transfer, you've got to live with the consequences of your actions if you again feel you picked the wrong school. The only exception I think is reasonable is if there's a change to the HC or your coordinator.

• Upvote 1