SUN BELT #1 G5 Conference.

meangreenbob

12 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

To be fair the only way you'd be considered is if we added a team to the east and needed someone to balance that and giving TXST a closer opponent was considered important. Otherwise far more likely Sun Belt needing a team in the west would be looking at someone like Missouri State or Western Kentucky.

Sun Belt has added one pro market team (Georgia State) and that was because they were ready to roll during a numbers crisis. Last vacancy was less urgent and the Sun Belt pursued Coastal Carolina who hadn't applied over a number of schools that had applied.

UNT doesn't fit the type of situation the league presidents want. 

You shouldn't want to be in a conference where you don't fit in. You never know when the carousel will stop spinning and membership becomes home for a half century.

I do believe that NT has a few more options than Arkansas St., and I doubt anyone connected with NT wants to go back to the Belt.

This is not an indictment of the Sunbelt, i do think they are a good conference mostly due to the inclusion of App State. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

This is not an indictment of the Sunbelt, i do think they are a good conference mostly due to the inclusion of App State. 

The Sun Belt is better than just App State. Coastal Carolina is 2-0 and is coming off back-to-back 11 win seasons. Troy just had 3 straight 10+ win seasons. Louisiana Lafayette is 2-0 and coming off 3 straight 10+ win seasons. Georgia Southern had a 10 win season very recently as well. The conference has performed very well lately.

• Upvote 2