An G5 AD Summit is Drastically Needed

Mike Jackson

Even if it is just 3 conferences instead of all 5 of the G5 conferences it is needed.  Chiefly to work out something Similar to what PAC 12, ACC, and Big 10 did.   Several G5 AD will probably lose their jobs in the coming months mismanaging this period of conference re-alignment.  I think it would be better at this level to leave the conference administrators out the discussion.  Conferences covering more than 2 time zones won’t do anything to increase TV payouts for the G5 conferences.  My questions for everyone are.

1. Why isn’t this already happening?

2. Who or what group has the power to make this happen?

[Amazon could be the answer to question 2.  So that bring up issues if you were running Amazon would you see buying the TV rights to all these G5 conferences as a good business opportunity to increase live TV offering from basic 0 right now?  Would you stipulate these conferences go regional and limit the membership to 12 teams per conference?]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

And a lot of G5 leaders want to move up to P5 gigs, too…they are fine with crumbs and not letting their kids ever win a National title.

I don’t see why that would matter for well over half of G5 ADs.  If you preside over a failing G5 program losing money but winning games in a crappy conference you aren’t likely to move up to a P5 gig.  For coaches all that matters is winning and your career progresses.