Communication keys new receivers' smooth transition

Coach Andy Mac

NATCHITOCHES – Stanley King is a long way from his hometown of Camden, New Jersey – in more ways than one. Jay Griffin IV is back closer to his hometown of Huntsville, Texas.

Despite their disparate backgrounds, the two transfer receivers have bonded over something that has linked Northwestern State's preseason football camps for years – the heat.

"I feel comfortable," said King, a transfer from Rutgers. "It's been a smooth transition with everything but the heat. I'm getting adjusted to everything. I'm in the rotation. I've just got to get used to the heat, and we'll see what it is at the end."

Despite his status as a Texas native, Griffin IV has taken some time to reacclimate himself to the South's heavy humidity after spending five years at the University of New Mexico as both a receiver and a conference champion sprinter.

"At first, there was a little adjustment getting used to the weather," he said. "Albuquerque isn't as humid. Other than that, I feel we're adjusting to the offense well. We're getting up to speed to do great things this year."

The pair of FBS transfers entered a wide receiver group that is adjusting to a new position coach in Rashad Jackson, who joined the Demon staff in July.

The trio is learning about and from one another as well about and from an eclectic mix of receivers that includes sixth-year seniors Gavin Landry and Kendrick Price, who have played key roles in helping all three feel more comfortable at NSU.

"To be able to have older guys like Gavin and KP in the room is great," Jackson said. "There aren't a lot of seniors, which is good. You have a couple of voices guys are already listening to. They're not hearing it from seven guys. They're hearing it from those two – this is how we do things. For those young guys and the new guys alike, they've followed right behind them. It's been great to see that transition with the new faces and the older guys coming together as one group."

Added Griffin: "Gavin and I play the same position. He's been very welcoming and helpful after every play, telling me what I've done well and what I could have done better. That's elevating me every day, and I'm grateful for that."

read more:  https://nsudemons.com/news/2021/8/18/demon-football-communication-keys-new-receivers-smooth-transition.aspx