DRC: UNT lands transfer guard

Looks like good, not great signing.  She averaged 12.1 pts and 3.6 rbs last year.   

Started for La Tech, but with only one apparent ship to give, I hoped Mitchell could get a true star with more than one year to play.   

An aside, it appears to me that the classification on the NT athletic website for WBB has a lot of errors.  Jackson for example was a sophomore last year, would she not also be a sophomore next year also. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I hoped Mitchell could get a true star with more than one year to play.   

With the way transfers and the portal works now, I view all players as "one year to play".  

At one time, the way to go was recruit the best freshmen and build your roster for the long term.  Today, they will leave as soon as they are recruited by a bigger school regardless of how many years they have started for you.  And freshmen that don't play will transfer instead of working their way up the depth chart.  Sadly, all players are "one year to play".

Get the best team you can get for this year and worry about next year when it gets here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

With the way transfers and the portal works now, I view all players as "one year to play".  

At one time, the way to go was recruit the best freshmen and build your roster for the long term.  Today, they will leave as soon as they are recruited by a bigger school regardless of how many years they have started for you.  And freshmen that don't play will transfer instead of working their way up the depth chart.  Sadly, all players are "one year to play".

Get the best team you can get for this year and worry about next year when it gets here.

Yes and no, they can only transfer once without sitting out a year.  So once you get a transfer, they can't leave without having to sit out.  

You are right why recruit freshmen when they can transfer out to another team without penalty.  

A really bad rule that should be changed, but probably won't because it definitely benefits the higher tier teams. 

• Upvote 1