Question to those at the game

Zeke

I see that Shawnson didn't even get a Field Goal this game. Is he still making an impact on the game that isn't really seen in the box score? Perhaps just an inside presence like Shawnson is making us a better team?

Just wondering when considering next years squad.

He at least gets double teamed every time he gets the ball. It has gotten to the point where he is not even fed the ball much in the post, and I think that is a mistake. At least he should be able to get the ball in the post and then kick it back out for an open look, but I'm not sure how good he is at finding the open man while being double teamed in the post.

He is still a major factor on the defensive end of the court though.

That's a hard one to answer, Zeke. He wasn't dogging it; he played decent defense and wasn't passed to very much when he was near the basket (which was most of the time). He would have had two field goals had he not been fouled. I'm not sure that he played a lot of minutes. I haven't seen how many shots that he took but it couldn't have been many. My biggest disappointment about him was his rebounding. He was blocked out a lot.

The game was pretty sloppy so it's hard to gauge what next year will be. They lose Rogers and will desparately need a point guard. Hopkins had a little trouble getting started but once he got it going he was great. He needs to come back next year at this same level. Barnett was o.k. but his bad back doesn't help his agility. DeGrate played well and we'll miss him. Mitchell hit several nice shots from the corner and Harris had a couple of nice plays but I don't see either as a starter next year. We desparately need some more big men. If we get Bam Jackson and the young man from Mansfield Summit, both will likely get a lot of playing time and they will, along with Hopkins and Mitchell give us a decent backcourt. Hopefully, Watson can do the job at 3 but I worry about power forward and to some extent, the center position.

With the loss of Rogers, Smith, Johnson and DeGrate it's hard for me to believe that we'll be as good next year.

I was thinking the same thing last night - what happens next year? I counted six seniors in the program - but does Barnett have another year of eligibility left? It's still some concern that UNT has six seniors on a .500 team. Who comes back from injuries / redshirts?