Mean Joe Commercial in the new movie "Miracle"

I went to see Miracle last night, the story of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team that beat the Soviets and went on to win the gold and it was great. They try to paint a picture of the US in the late 70's and do so by showing footage of oil strikes and commercials. The most prominent commmercial is the Mean Joe Greene Coke commerical essentually pitting itself as the exclamation point of US culture for the late 70's/early 80's bookmark. Made me all warm and fuzzy inside smile.gif

We saw the movie tonight! It was really good. And of course we commented on the Mean Joe Green Commercial as well! And.... when we went in, the ticket guy told us to keep our stus because they were going to have some kind of drawing. Sure enough a women came in before the movie started with all the other hlafs of our tickets and started drawing for prizes. They gave away Stars jersies and hats/visors, water bottles, and pucks!! Pretty cool little promotion. No..... we didn't win anything. wink.gif

Edited by MeanGreenQueen

Ok, I know all of you are wanting and waiting to hear my review of "Miracle" because I am a student of the game (hockey)

Fantastic movie. Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks did a great job. You can tell he really studied the coach and his techniques and that he put all of his ablilities into this movie. It really seemed like he cared about his role. Great hockey scenes. I hear that they got real hockey players as the actors, and it was obvious. They did a good job of giving the audience a view of what was going on in the world at the time. Actually very acurate. The scene when the players walked out to start the game against the Russians gave me chills. Great acting, atmosphere, and i could even smell the ice and feel the ice when I watched the players skating.

I got tears when we won the game. To me, thats I how know its a great movie.

The only things I would have changed, add a little more character development to the players, changed the camera angle on the goals, and focus more on the celebration. But even those MINOR things couldn't take away from the wonderful movie.

I too went to see this movie on Saturday night....

I'm a big hockey fan and while too young to remember the 1980 Olympics (I was 4), I did know a lot about the team and the events going on around that time.

As mentioned by others, I knew the outcome, but was very into the last game against the Russians and the end result. Everytime the US scored a goal, several people in theatre would break out clapping and as the buzzer hit zero, most of the crowd, including me clapped in applause!

I was on my seat for the last 7 minutes of the game when we had the 4-3 lead! They did a real good job of showing the tension of this moment with a great musical score as the music picked up and added to the drama. The best part was in the last few minutes of the game when the Russian Coach "did not know what to do" as he had won 47 straight games! tongue.gif (Watch the movie and you'll see his crucial mistake in the last 1-2 minutes)

Anyways, it was a Great movie for hockey fans and I would say a good movie for non-Hockey fans.

Edited by jgb0607

• 2 weeks later...

Great Movie!

I saw it Sunday night, I still remember the game. I watched every game televised that year, and it hooked me on hockey.

I play in an I-league in Euless on Saturday nights, Monday at a public skate I tried to do that drill he ran again and again just once and it kicked the Sh*t out of me. I can't even image doing as many times as they portrayed. They would have had to be beyond great shape.

If you have not seen it, it is a must see!