It's OFFICIAL: UNT vs. Troy in 2017 New Orleans Bowl

Harry

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.   I don't believe you're that tone-deaf regarding College Football on a national level, so you must be saying that simply to defend your conference's honor. 
I have no issue with respecting the SBC.   I'm not one of the dudes jumping up and down saying the SBC is "beneath" us.

If you do, indeed, believe Florida State University is a College Football "also-ran", I don't know what to say.

Florida State is an also ran this year. They are not a top program on the field this year. Hell they don't even have a coach because Jimbo felt Aggieland was a better place to be.

Yeah they are a great brand but let's not act like beating 2017 FSU in any away compares Florida State 2012-16.

And people who are into football aren't going to be throwing big props the way of USM if they win.

Edited by Arkstfan

2 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Florida State is an also ran this year. They are not a top program on the field this year. Hell they don't even have a coach because Jimbo felt Aggieland was a better place to be.

Yeah they are a great brand but let's not act like beating 2017 FSU in any away compares Florida State 2012-16.

And people who are into football aren't going to be throwing big props the way of USM if they win.

We're getting somewhere here.  I think you're assuming an incorrect stance in my argument.

I'm arguing about beating the FSU brand, over the Troy brand.    Not trying to say FSU's on-field results this year are on-par for them.
But 3-4 years from now, I bet FSU comes back into prominence, and a bowl win against them (no matter the circumstances, because they'll be forgotten) will look much better on paper than a win against Troy, even if Troy is still dominating the SBC in 3-4 years... which they may not be.

• Upvote 1

For those of you wondering what to do with all that graduation money, Troy opens as a 7 point favorite.

ETA: This is right in line with the Sagarin ratings.  I think the championship game has everyone thrown off and Troy is still getting too much credit for the LSU win.  Bet 'till your hands bleed.  Look for UNT to cover the spread and win straight up.

ETA 2: http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/?s=2568
Looks like a lot of you took advantage of the opening line and drove it down to 5.5 at the moment.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like Sports Illustrated thinks the Mean Green are playing the highest rated opponent that we had the option to play.  Troy checks in at #33.  What about FSU you say?  #69.  Mean Green check in at #52.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/04/bowl-game-matchups-teams-power-rankings

Time to nut up.  We have a huge opportunity it front of us to play, and hopefully beat, a team that a lot of national press seem to have a pretty high opinion of based on the way that they rate this bowl and our opponent.

#beatTroy

Here's hoping Mean Green Football walks out of the Superdome Saturday afternoon proving Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, and every other talking head on ESPN wrong.

Despite other schools trolling ill-will on UNT football, fans in the State of Texas are supporting the Mean Green in the N.O Bowl.  Have a great time and get the W!

• Lovely Take 1

• Harry unpinned this topic