Computer/Tech Folk...Input, Please.

Recently, we went through a spate of intermittent internet service at our house.  Provider is Time Warner/Spectrum.

Problem was simple and ubiquitous as far as these things go:  at certain times during the day, net service would flick in and out.  To me, it meant nothing because I'm at the office or on the road during the day, and at night when I got home, the internet was fine.

However, it did screw up my kids' and wife's use of the internet...which can be a pain in the ass (for my wife) during the summer when the kids are there every day, and she is trying to get them to do the math programs their teachers gave them for summer work.

Anyway, I'd occasionally call Time Warner/Spectrum and get the usual:
-Unplug modem, then plug it back in; if that doesn't work
-Hit the reset button on the back
-Do the same with the router for your wifi

This went on for a few weeks until, one day, the router wouldn't come back on.

Hooked my laptop directly to the modem.  Internet came through just fine.  No problem with modem. 

Called the router folk (Belkin).  Here is where the story pisses me off.

First off, we go through the whole plug/unplug/reset/plug straight into modem with a computer rigamarole - even though I've already told them I'd done all of those things with the modem and router, and because the modem worked with the laptop, that's why I was calling about the router.

Next, we go through a program where their customer service takes over my computer.  No big deal.  Our IT guy does that to all of our work computers and laptops when he is updating programs and security and so forth.

While doing that, customer service guy is telling me about hacking and giving me the whole "don't use the internet for anything" lecture.  As if that's really a f*cking possibility in 2017.  (Yes...I suppose I could go back to receiving everything in the mail and going back to the check book. I suppose.  But, let's be f*cking realistic, okay?).

After f*cking around in my computer for awhile, customer service guy tells me my computer and modem have been hacked, and that's why the router isn't working.  He says I need to be transferred to their Level Four Microsoft Technician, or some such sh*t.

I let him keep rambling...which he does...because I know from being in sales that a sales pitch is coming up.

He eventually gets to the sales pitch.  To him, bottom line is Microsoft Level Four Technician needs to take over my computer for an hour or two, scan it, clean it of hackers and install a super duper security programs that will cost either:

-$199 for a year
-$299 for two years
-$399 for five years
-$799 for a lifetime

He say this will guarantee I'll never be hacked again, and my internet service will never be interrupted again.

I hang up on him, uninstall the computer sharing program, run the security scan installed on my laptop by work IT guy to make sure everything is clear since Belkin's crack customer service turned sales douche was on it for over an hour.

I then drive to WalMart, buy another router for $29.99+ tax, take it home, hook it up, and everything works.  As of now, about two weeks later, everything is fine and hunky dory.

My question to IT/Tech folk is what the f*ck gives?  I called the service number given by Belkin for service for their piece of equipment.  All I want is a simple answer, either:  (1) yes, your router is f*cked up, go buy another, (2) no it's not the router, check with Time Warner/Spectrum and have them come check your line, or (3) we don't know what the f*cking problem is, really, so just go buy another router...they're cheap, you American as*hole!

So, what gives?  Is it normal for tech companies to outsource their customer/tech service to third parties who f*ck around with you on the phone for a couple of hours, make sh*t up about hackers, then try to sell you bullsh*t security services?

I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1