DRC breaking news -- UNT assistants receiving pay raises

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

This about coaching.  Not recruits.  Cause then Littrel won with Mac's recruits...and went to a bowl due to Mac's grades...

It's absolutely about recruits though. Reason Mac and Littrell are vastly different is Mac clearly couldn't out coach his shitty recruiting, whereas I believe Littrell will coach up his and Mac's recruits. I will be a lot more concerned with Littrell if he's going 6-6 or worse in his 3rd or 4th seasons

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It's absolutely about recruits though. Reason Mac and Littrell are vastly different is Mac clearly couldn't out coach his shitty recruiting, whereas I believe Littrell will coach up his and Mac's recruits. I will be a lot more concerned with Littrell if he's going 6-6 or worse in his 3rd or 4th seasons

If it's about recruiting, Littrell owes UNT some money...

As of right now, Litrell is no better than Mac was.  Let's just hope there no one win season coming...I'm surprised the whole Alec Morris thing dosent give fans Chico flashbacks as far as bringing in Qbs...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

5-8 is 5-8...

We went from horrible to being only bad.  It's still 5-8.  Once again, you are comparing him to the previous UNT trash instead of comparing him to the rest of college football.  Being better than Mac and Chico is nothing.

If i hired someone in business and the previous person that I replaced stole from the company, called in, and never did their work on time I would hope my next hire could immediately come in and not be terrible.  I would expect an upgrade immediately.

Littrel is an upgrade from (2015 mac) and has shown he has some "potential"  He hasn't proven anything though.  If Mac would have still had Skladany, he could have pulled off the same type of season...cause the games we won were still due to the defense. 

Did taking at team that went 1-11 last year to 5-7 not compare favorably to the rest of college football?

What were/are you expecting?   1-11 to 11-1?

If you hire someone that wrecked your highest producing unit, to the point where all of your employees under him hated working there, what is your bar for the first year under a new hire?  Improvement a measurable, and a 4-game improvement is a 400% increase.   Would that be satisfactory improvement for your business hire?

And AGAIN, I don't think the 1-year extension (virtually a useless "extension") was about Littrell.  I think it was about the assistants.  We got news about the new assistant hires and salary increases for the whole assistant staff after Littrell's extension.   It was a big money shuffle.

8 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

If it's about recruiting, Littrell owes UNT some money...

As of right now, Litrell is no better than Mac was.  Let's just hope there no one win season coming...I'm surprised the whole Alec Morris thing dosent give fans Chico flashbacks as far as bringing in Qbs...

tumblr_m8hwfgTCrR1ruzdua.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

tumblr_m8hwfgTCrR1ruzdua.gif

Mac went 5-7 his first year...and went 9-4 his 3rd year...9 wins.  Or we just going to remember the 1 win season and act like the 5-7 first year and 9 win season didn't happen?

Right now if offered, I would take 4-8 next year and 9-4 the following year based on history.  

9 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Mac went 5-7 his first year...and went 9-4 his 3rd year...9 wins.  Or we just going to remember the 1 win season and act like the 5-7 first year and 9 win season didn't happen?

Right now if offered, I would take 4-8 next year and 9-4 the following year based on history.  

The 1-win season directly preceded Littrell's first year.  And Littrell has only coached 1 season.  This is all we have to go on.   It's easy to look back on McCarney's time here as a roller coaster.   We don't have any kind of idea what Littrell's tenure has in store, but he appears to be poised for a rise.

After going 5-7 this year, a step back to 4-8 would be unacceptable...  even if an 8-4 season followed. I don't think anyone here wants to repeat history.

Also, recall, McCarney's first 5-7 year was on the shoulders of the greatest running back UNT has ever seen (Sorry Mr. Cobbs & Mr. Haynes).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The 1-win season directly preceded Littrell's first year.  And Littrell has only coached 1 season.  This is all we have to go on.   It's easy to look back on McCarney's time here as a roller coaster.   We don't have any kind of idea what Littrell's tenure has in store, but he appears to be poised for a rise.

After going 5-7 this year, a step back to 4-8 would be unacceptable...  even if an 8-4 season followed. I don't think anyone here wants to repeat history.

Also, recall, McCarney's first 5-7 year was on the shoulders of the greatest running back UNT has ever seen (Sorry Mr. Cobbs & Mr. Haynes).

We can what if and go back and forth, but even after a 9-4 season, some were skeptical about extending McCarney because there were questons as to whether it cold be sustained due to his recruiting.  Well, it was shown that his weak recruiting and development caught up with him.  Maybe he won because he caught everyone at the right time of eligibility and he had the veteran team, while others were rebuilding...

Well now Litrell comes in like McCarney did and did better than the previous coach...now all we have to do is add recruiting momentum to the on the field success and we have something.  Right?  McCarney lost coaches too, so let's get rid of that excuse and he inherited Chico.  

McCarney thought winning would solve the recruiting problem.  Littrell thought the turnaround would too.  The change in offense, the culture,...blah, blah, blah...no upgrade in recruiting.  Period.

"But Littrell is a better coach, so even if he can't recruit, he will coach players up..." that is what we are banking on and he gets an extension and the assistants gets raises.  Based mainly off of the 1 win season.  When you are judging performance by the worst output, anything will look better.

Littrell hasn't proven anything offensively yet.  Haven't proved it recruiting, and he will be in the same situation as mccarney and that is looking for JUCOs.  UNT gave Littrell an extension and they didn't have to yet.  Horrible.  Let's hope it doesnt wind up like the McCarney one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

We can what if and go back and forth, but even after a 9-4 season, some were skeptical about extending McCarney because there were questons as to whether it cold be sustained due to his recruiting.  Well, it was shown that his weak recruiting and development caught up with him.  Maybe he won because he caught everyone at the right time of eligibility and he had the veteran team, while others were rebuilding...

Well now Litrell comes in like McCarney did and did better than the previous coach...now all we have to do is add recruiting momentum to the on the field success and we have something.  Right?  McCarney lost coaches too, so let's get rid of that excuse and he inherited Chico.  

McCarney thought winning would solve the recruiting problem.  Littrell thought the turnaround would too.  The change in offense, the culture,...blah, blah, blah...no upgrade in recruiting.  Period.

"But Littrell is a better coach, so even if he can't recruit, he will coach players up..." that is what we are banking on and he gets an extension and the assistants gets raises.  Based mainly off of the 1 win season.  When you are judging performance by the worst output, anything will look better.

Littrell hasn't proven anything offensively yet.  Haven't proved it recruiting, and he will be in the same situation as mccarney and that is looking for JUCOs.  UNT gave Littrell an extension and they didn't have to yet.  Horrible.  Let's hope it doesnt wind up like the McCarney one.

I'm guilty of being on board with McCarney's extension.   I figured everything clicked when we moved up to C-USA, playing "better" teams.  It was a mirage.

If you've ever been sprayed by a skunk, you know it takes a while to get the stench off.    1-11 with an FCS pounding is difficult to shake when talking to recruits.  Especially when you're less than a year away from that.   Let's see what kind of class Littrell can put together this year.   He has something to sell now:  "Look what we did in 1 year! Come help us build on that!"   Last year, all he had was, "Hey, we're a 1-11 team, but we're not gonna do that again!!!" (with nothing to show for it).   I think we can all agree that recruiting picked up big time at the end of the year when we made the bowl game.

• Downvote 2

No, recruiting did not pick up big time after the H.O.D. game, unless we were D.A.L. before it. We finished 12th in a 15 horse race.His staff was a complete failure when compared to 1st year coaches at Texas State and U.T.S.A., and in my opinion 4 D1 wins does not warrant a raise regardless of previous year's record.That's what he gets paid for.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4