MGB: Benford to enter 5th season in final year of contract

Brett Vito

19 hours ago, JesseMartin said:

As much as I expected/wanted them to move on this year, as that is not the case I will say this: I hope his 5th year is stellar and he puts it all together and warrants an extension.  I'm still 99% skeptical and pessimistic about it, but really, I'd be happier if he proved us all wrong than if we were to gamble on another coach that may be a disappointment.

I am actually not in favor of this scenario for 1 reason. 

Reason: The incompetence that is Rick Villarreal could literally extend HIMSELF after extending Benford. Talking about getting kicked in the groin and catching both balls, ugh, I'm nauseated just thinking about it. Football would continue to get blind support and far more likely continue the downward trajectory to hell. I'm in the camp of ALL things truly NEEDING to COMPLETELY derail so we can get COMPETENCE in the seat of the athletic director. This athletic program and university literally cannot afford for RV to get an extension. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I am actually not in favor of this scenario for 1 reason. 

Reason: The incompetence that is Rick Villarreal could literally extend HIMSELF after extending Benford. Talking about getting kicked in the groin and catching both balls, ugh, I'm nauseated just thinking about it. Football would continue to get blind support and far more likely continue the downward trajectory to hell. I'm in the camp of ALL things truly NEEDING to COMPLETELY derail so we can get COMPETENCE in the seat of the athletic director. This athletic program and university literally cannot afford for RV to get an extension. 

Everything has completely derailed, and UNT just told you they don't give a flying F. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Everything has completely derailed, and UNT just told you they don't give a flying F. 

We need his last revenue hire to completely fail. 5/5 is a complete fail. As hard as it may be to stomach, we need UNT bball to fail next season. I don't want us to be bad and I don't want RV's hires to go belly up, we need them to. It's unfortunately in the best interest of our athletic program and university. This is what it has come to. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

We need his last revenue hire to completely fail. 5/5 is a complete fail. As hard as it may be to stomach, we need UNT bball to fail next season. I don't want us to be bad and I don't want RV's to go belly up, we need them to. It's unfortunately in the best interest of our athletic program and university. This is what it has come to. 

That has already happened. Nothing has or will change. People will walk away, but UNT simply does not care.

What else do they have to do to make that point crystal clear to you?

I guess you haven't been at this as long as some. Hell, I haven't, either, and I feel for those poor guys. But I've seen enough to know for certain that UNT doesn't and will never care about providing their athletic programs the support needed to be successful.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

That has already happened. Nothing has or will change. People will walk away, but UNT simply does not care.

What else do they have to do to make that point crystal clear to you?

The retainment of Rick after his current contract lapses would make it clear. I think I would be forced to completely walk away and never look back. I think a spineless prez is giving him the benefit of the extreme doubt while saving face to the BOR by keeping him on board. That's the only explanation I have. Any extension given to Rick would force me out. 

• Upvote 1