DRC Monday column: UNT isn't a quick fix situation for new coach

Brett Vito

I'm so tired of being a North Texas fan.  Having to have the same conversations about being bad every year with friends and coworkers.  2013 was fun, but it's like giving a single piece of bread to someone who's starving.  I'm tired of the excuses.  I want following UNT to be fun.  We don't have to be competing for a National Championship but even Houston gets ranked in the Top 25 sometimes.

• Upvote 5

It most certainly can be a quick fix.

Hire a young offensive minded coach.

He brings in a good quality DC that he really trusts.

The offense goes to a whole new level. He gets an FBS level transfer QB or steals a QB recruit before signing day plus a few more offensive weapons.

Our offense should be able to score 34/35 points a game. With Wilson, Ivery, Goree, Smiley, Kidsy and new weapons.

The new DC is good enough to get the D to only give up 30 points a game which can be done with better coaching. 

We are in business. Bowl game next year and most improved team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I found this image posted as a side story on FootballScoop while reading the article about Miami's interest in Mario Cristobal. I thought it was worth bringing in here for our reading enjoyment. I think it is good stuff!

Did not Canales throw the SC coaches we have had under the bus?  We were too small and slow!  Isn't that what Mac said when he came?  The sobering thought is, if this is true, we will be relying primarily on returning players.  By the time a coaching staff gets in place,, game changing HS  and JC players are not going to be available.

• Upvote 1

I lived by TCU the last two years Sulivan was coach and went to a lot of TCU games Over 5-6 years.  Boosters at TCU had cash but they were not throwing it down at that time.  Franchione got the ball rolling turning around a one win team in the then WAC!   They did have LT but he was not highly recruited (TCU, a bad Baylor, and UNT offered). My point is - a coach and his staff can make impact.  That impact can get the ball going.  Even in Pattersons early years the stadium was half full.  Patterson has spent 15 years coaching the hell out of the players he could get.  He recruited athletes who were competitive.  His stability is also part of the equation.  This got boosters back to investing.  New facilities, coaches getting paid, and years after Franchione first showed up TCU evolved to the next level.  This can happen at UNT... It'll take time, money, and a coach with fire and an eye for talent.  

• Upvote 3

I lived by TCU the last two years Sulivan was coach and went to a lot of TCU games Over 5-6 years.  Boosters at TCU had cash but they were not throwing it down at that time.  Franchione got the ball rolling turning around a one win team in the then WAC!   They did have LT but he was not highly recruited (TCU, a bad Baylor, and UNT offered). My point is - a coach and his staff can make impact.  That impact can get the ball going.  Even in Pattersons early years the stadium was half full.  Patterson has spent 15 years coaching the hell out of the players he could get.  He recruited athletes who were competitive.  His stability is also part of the equation.  This got boosters back to investing.  New facilities, coaches getting paid, and years after Franchione first showed up TCU evolved to the next level.  This can happen at UNT... It'll take time, money, and a coach with fire and an eye for talent.  

great post WT.  It can be done.  It will take time but it can be done.

I've never understood why some of our fan base gets so hung up on the War Hawks.  ULM has only done slightly better than us.  So much for having such high expectations for our program, don't you think? In 8 years, they have had 1 season of above .500 ball, two seasons finishing right at .500, with the rest (5) at below .500 giving them an overall losing record (.404).  Over the same period we are .318.  I say we should aim just a little higher than ULM.

• 2008 - 4-8
  • 2009 - 6-6
  • 2010 - 5-7
  • 2011 - 4-8
  • 2012 - 8-5
  • 2013 - 6-6
  • 2014 - 4-8
  • 2015 - 1-8

Silver was referencing the point that a quick turn around is possible, pointing out that Holtz and Berry did it by year two, and with less resources than North Texas.

Secondly, no one is "hung up on" or suggesting we simply aim for ULM.  ULM is simply a reference when pointing out a program getting more out of what they currently have.  Compared to the rest of the FBS field they should be worse than us..far worse.  They're  not.  

Compare their program to North Texas' during the same time period that the future of our program began to rest squarely on RV's shoulders,.......the year he hired Dodge.

Since 2007...

ULM has 4 Bowl-Eligible seasons to our 1.

ULM has wins over Alabama, Arkansas, Tulane and two wins over Wake Forest.  North Texas has wins over Indiana, UNLV in a bowl game and SMU.

ULM had 5 point or less losses to Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor and Texas A&M.  North Texas had 58 point or more losses to OU, Arkansas, Rice and Portland State.

And finally...ULM went 4-2 against North Texas in this same time period.....

.....all while operating with about a $3-4 Million football budget and never paying their coach more than $250K per year with substandard facilities to recruit to in a horrible location.

ULM has done more with far less resources than North Texas has in an area where they NEVER should.  Sadly,  this will more than likely continue under our current leadership.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

I found this image posted as a side story on FootballScoop while reading the article about Miami's interest in Mario Cristobal. I thought it was worth bringing in here for our reading enjoyment. I think it is good stuff!

Thanks for depressing me even more. Everything about the current AD screams one of the crowd. There is no "unusual action" in the guy. Everything about him screams mediocre, at his best. Which means the next hire will be mediocre at its best.

Really unbelievable that he has been here 15 years, and like Harry said, it tells us far more about the lack of commitment to winning by the BOR and administration above this AD than any canned "we are committed to athletics" statement by President Smatresk. 

They just don't care, and I doubt they ever will. Half of the BOR aren't UNT grads and have zero stake in UNT pride. 

This thing is so broken I doubt it ever gets fixed.

Football coaches don't directly raise money, athletic directors do. 

This program will never reach anything near its potential with the current AD in place.

Thanks for depressing me even more. Everything about the current AD screams one of the crowd. There is no "unusual action" in the guy. Everything about him screams mediocre, at his best. Which means the next hire will be mediocre at its best.

Really unbelievable that he has been here 15 years, and like Harry said, it tells us far more about the lack of commitment to winning by the BOR and administration above this AD than any canned "we are committed to athletics" statement by President Smatresk. 

They just don't care, and I doubt they ever will. Half of the BOR aren't UNT grads and have zero stake in UNT pride. 

This thing is so broken I doubt it ever gets fixed.

Football coaches don't directly raise money, athletic directors do. 

This program will never reach anything near its potential with the current AD in place.

it's hard to invest in a loser....though that's when there should be investment.  When the diamond starts to shine through the cash gets flowing.  Coaches directly impact the raising of money.  

it's hard to invest in a loser....though that's when there should be investment.  When the diamond starts to shine through the cash gets flowing.  Coaches directly impact the raising of money.  

But when you have an AD that never hires a winner, you don't get that coach.

Ever.