Is the gap between P5 and G5 closing?

GMG_Dallas

It seems like every week it's not uncommon to see a P5 school "upset" by a G5. Purdue lost to Marshall. Southern Miss played Nebraska fairly tough. Western Kentucky beat Vanderbilt and almost beat Indiana. La Tech is currently up 14-0 to Miss. St. in Starkville, MS. AAC teams are getting really good. Toledo beat Arkansas. NIU played Ohio State very tough losing 20-13. Is the gap closing? And if so, is this the time to see a UNT program truly make a turnaround? Not just for UNT's standards but on the national level.

Thoughts on the gap between G5 and P5? Will it continue? Do we have a chance to join in the La Tech, Houston, Western Kentucky, Memphis, Marshall, and others? If we don't do it now, will it only get tougher from here?

• Upvote 1

The gap is closing. Players are more marketable thanks to technology and social media than ever before and therefore G5 programs not named North Texas can go out there and bring in quality players to raise their program up a notch. It will continue to close until the P5 makes a move in some way to give them a competitive advantage which will inevitably happen. 

• Upvote 2

there is a difference between an upset and G5s consistently competing with P5s now.

^...currently...La Tech v Miss St is 24-17 at the half. I can't say I am surprised at this. Memphis is up on Ole Miss at the half 24-14...again...not surprised. Ten years ago this would be considered an upset as is regardless of the outcome...now...I would not be surprised to see both Memphis and La Tech win these games. The gap is closing and the G5's are getting stronger than ever before. Granted, there is still a gap and that gap is afforded to a many of these schools because of conference affiliation and the money associated with that alone. Put the bottom P5 schools in G5 conferences right now and in 5 years they would be getting waxed just how they usually get waxed in their current conferences. There is no brand association with those schools. They are trying to steal a recruit here and there from the better programs and are always having to fight off surrounding G5 programs from taking their recruits. They are a notch better because of the budget they are afforded and the conference stamp on their jersey, that's it. I personally think there needs to be an entire college football shake up. Wipe all slates clean and let the conferences go in for 20 teams in each conference and let there be a new "P6." 120 teams in 6 major conferences. The new alignment will give us 6 conference champions automatically in the playoff along with 2 at large bids to round it to 8 teams. This is the best case scenario for college football and in my opinion there is money in it for everyone as in everyone will now be included and fan bases around the country would fully wake up to the tune of being in a "real" conference with an opportunity to compete at the highest level, on the field and for recruits. It truly would be a win-win for everyone...TV networks, fans, teams, coaching staffs, recruiting, etc. etc. etc. 

I guess I'd need to see some hard data on that, because it doesn't seem much different to me now than it did 5, 10, or 20 years ago.

As TV contracts are secured, so goes the gap.

Overall, I think the gap is widening.  The conference race is on for playoff money, and the P5s get first in line.  I could be wrong, but I speculate that is what we will see as we move forward 4 or 5 years into the playoff system.

There are trends that you have to consider: Vandy always loses 1 or 2 OOC games.  MTSU had their number for years, like Dickey on a Lubbock party.
There are always 1 or 2 G5 teams that go on a great 5 - 10 year run.  I think WKU is like that.  Reminds me of what Troy did for a while, and Boise State when they made their rise through FBS (of course, their ascent started before they even made the move up)

• Upvote 3