Good analysis of Tulane from a former Tulane player

Harry

Strengths:
1) WR's have ability, will make the spectacular catch
2)QB is tough...he's a gamer. Not special, but above average everything.
3) Backs are plus, run hard
4)Corners are plus, they can play
5)D-Line much improved
6)Kicker is great...game changer

Weaknesses:
1) O-Line...Tackles are not very athletic. Prone to busts vs the blitz.
2) Special teams protection ('nuff said)
3) Small linebackers (4-2-5 alignment)
4) Scheme complexity...they tend to bust on defense if they try to get cute.
5) Struggle vs mobile qb

Offensively the schemes are sound as far as play design and what they are trying to accomplish. We are let down by oline play obviously, and also the reason the Saints offense works soo well is that Drew Brees puts the offense in the best play and protection possible on most plays. The Saints call 2-3 plays in the huddle and Drew puts them in the best play for what the defense is showing. You saw this with Ryan Griffin last year in the second half of the season when the passing offense took off. You simply cannot run the football into a 7-8 man front with 6 blockers (especially with our oline). This scheme is VERY qb dependent, and right now I don't know if they don't trust Nick or he doesn't know the playbook well enough but he has to give us the best chance for success at the line.

Defensively, it's hard to stop the run with 2 lb's, especially when one of them is 180 lbs. Todd Graham at ASU says 75% of big plays are alignment and Steve Spurrier says the same thing. We have to line up properly and then play hard. My D-line coach at Tulane (Thilen Smith) used to always say "I don't want you thinking when you put your hand on the ground". And in the back half we are thinking too much. We are much better than last year, but there are still mental errors.

If I were playing Tulane...
I would line up in double tight and run the ball in the 3,4,5,6 holes...forcing the lb's to scrape over the top and the ends to hold their edge. If I had a mobile qb I would read option and play action off of that, I would attack the 3rd and 4th cover guy (nickel and lb) as Doss & Baptiste are pretty good.

Defensively I would put 7 in the box play cover 3 and dare them to run. I would assume if my d-line is any good that I could get pressure off the edge. If I blitzed I would send A gap pressure, and zone blitz. #68 would be attacked. And of course I would send 11 guys after every punt.

read more: http://www.yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41114

They have good skill players. Their offense can give UNT trouble because they have some speed and playmakers at WR and RB, and a QB who can make plays.. I know Montana is listed at 6'3", but in watching him, it looks like he gets a lot of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage. I'm sure the UNT coaching staff has seen this tendency and communicated it to he DL/LB's.

I think UNT can run on Tulane. Hope to see the RB's start to break loose next Saturday.

• Upvote 1

Is it just me or does the ULM game play a big part in who we will face in New Orleans next week?

If Tulane gives them a good ball game or wins we will be facing a very scary opponent on the road who will be sky high!

If ULM blows them our or wins handily I could see Tulane lose some confidence and perhaps be down a little bit heading into our game.

Either way they will be 1-0 in C-USA no matter what happens but I still see the ULM game affecting their psyche a little bit.

Is it just me or does the ULM game play a big part in who we will face in New Orleans next week?

It will be a big game for them because it's an in-state team and everyone in that state wants to look down at ULM.

But I see it as a lose/lose for us. If Tulane wins, they will be confident. If they lose (unless they get blown out) they can also do what we did after Ohio and say "that team has had some success in the past, are probably pretty decent, and has zero bearing on the CUSA chase."

If Tulane gives them a good ball game or wins we will be facing a very scary opponent on the road who will be sky high!

If ULM blows them our or wins handily I could see Tulane lose some confidence and perhaps be down a little bit heading into our game.

Either way they will be 1-0 in C-USA no matter what happens but I still see the ULM game affecting their psyche a little bit.

I agree, Harry. And we also need to keep in mind that the season is going to start grinding on some teams, and injuries are going to start to have effect on rosters. Will be interesting to see how UNT's improved depth helps.

• Upvote 1