Athletic Departments and Creative Advertising

MeanGreenGlory

I would even be happy with a billboard or DMN ad.

Athletics would love to have a billboard and has tried. You need to check with the branding folks as to why they aren't up.

As if often the case here, folks "bark up the wrong tree".

As to the point...agree with ragpicker...would love to see a billboard dedicated to UNT Athletics. The DMN AD, well, not as much, but would love to see the billboards like the one athletics had a couple of years ago around the metroplex.

Athletics would love to have a billboard and has tried. You need to check with the branding folks as to why they aren't up.

As to the point...agree with ragpicker...would love to see a billboard dedicated to UNT Athletics. The DMN AD, well, not as much, but would love to see the billboards like the one athletics had a couple of years ago around the metroplex.

But... UNT athletics does have billboards.

Whenever I'm heading down to Keller for my church gig along I-35W, there's a digital billboard just beyond Paradise Liquors that always has a recurring ad for our next home game, whether it be football or basketball. I like this route cause it's much easier to change.

• Upvote 5

But... UNT athletics does have billboards.

Whenever I'm heading down to Keller for my church gig along I-35W, there's a digital billboard just beyond Paradise Liquors that always has a recurring ad for our next home game, whether it be football or basketball. I like this route cause it's much easier to change.

Christopher, you are correct about that, but I was referring to the print ones that show one AD..not the flashing and changing digital ones. That AD, I believe is the one that is in the format that is pretty much like the one in the Denton Record-Chronicle each week, right? Similar, yes?

• Upvote 1

Christopher, you are correct about that, but I was referring to the print ones that show one AD..not the flashing and changing digital ones. That AD, I believe is the one that is in the format that is pretty much like the one in the Denton Record-Chronicle each week, right? Similar, yes?

Oh gosh, I wouldn't know. I only read the DRC online.

• Upvote 1

Billboards work and creative billboards get our attention. I would like to see a few that encourage alumni to come back to campus who haven't been here for a while. A homecoming campaign in DFW along with information on the "A Train" might work. SOMETHING out there would work if we would just try it. The new stadium along with a new coach and the inauguration of DCTA that came together at the same time two years ago should have prompted a big marketing campaign that would probably have resulted a sellout for our first game against Houston as well as setting the stage for things to come. We can either take the defeatist attitude that we can't compete with all of the other sports venues in this area, or actively try and compete with them. We are a division 1 college athletic program, after all, and as we start winning it would be nice for people to know who we are, where we are and how in the hell to get here.

No offense, KRAM, but this kind of excuse making drives me freaking NUTS.

The whole "well, we tried, but it's someone else's fault at UNT that we just can't get it done" is old, tired, and really just dumb.

If we don't have an AD that can solve these type of problems, you know, problems that magically don't exist elsewhere, perhaps we just need to find ourselves a new AD.

Don't give me excuses, find a freaking solution, RV.

IT'S YOUR JOB!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

A homecoming campaign in DFW

In all honesty, for alumni not already connected with some organization, homecoming can be pretty unwelcoming. I remember my first few UNT games wandering around the various super secret wristband societies, wondering what to do. It's better now, but the tailgating scene is still pretty much for those already in the know. So how does the university/athletic department make it more accessible/enticing?

In all honesty, for alumni not already connected with some organization, homecoming can be pretty unwelcoming. I remember my first few UNT games wandering around the various super secret wristband societies, wondering what to do. It's better now, but the tailgating scene is still pretty much for those already in the know. So how does the university/athletic department make it more accessible/enticing?

Direct them to the Alumni Pavilion where they can enjoy an alumni tailgate by "registering" with an email address and $10 or whatever for beer/food. Alumni can mingle and have a good time meeting new people from the same class or program. After the tailgate, everyone goes in the stadium for a good game and at the end of the day, the Alumni Association has a new list of alumni emails that they can send game day information to for every future home game to get them coming back.

• Upvote 3

Direct them to the Alumni Pavilion where they can enjoy an alumni tailgate by "registering" with an email address and $10 or whatever for beer/food. Alumni can mingle and have a good time meeting new people from the same class or program. After the tailgate, everyone goes in the stadium for a good game and at the end of the day, the Alumni Association has a new list of alumni emails that they can send game day information to for every future home game to get them coming back.

You know, as a dyed in the green wool tailgater, I've always kinda wondered what the gameday purpose of the pavilion is, but that's a great suggestion. There was nothing like that over at Fouts.

No offense, KRAM, but this kind of excuse making drives me freaking NUTS.

The whole "well, we tried, but it's someone else's fault at UNT that we just can't get it done" is old, tired, and really just dumb.

If we don't have an AD that can solve these type of problems, you know, problems that magically don't exist elsewhere, perhaps we just need to find ourselves a new AD.

Don't give me excuses, find a freaking solution, RV.

IT'S YOUR JOB!

Bark...bark...tree...tree.....

• Upvote 2

Thats a great idea MeamGreenGlory. These are the kinds of ideas we need to come up with to get people back on campus. I am convinced that SMU's attendance problem is partly due to the exclusive atmosphere at Ford with its "Boulevard" Park Cities snobbery. I grew up an SMU fan and have an advanced degree from there, but when I attend a game (when we aren't playing)I often feel like a red headed step-child in a sea of pretension. Make our alums feel at home and they will come.

Thats a great idea MeamGreenGlory. These are the kinds of ideas we need to come up with to get people back on campus. I am convinced that SMU's attendance problem is partly due to the exclusive atmosphere at Ford with its "Boulevard" Park Cities snobbery. I grew up an SMU fan and have an advanced degree from there, but when I attend a game (when we aren't playing)I often feel like a red headed step-child in a sea of pretension. Make our alums feel at home and they will come.

FYI, this is what we already do at the Pavilion.

Take advantage!

Strategically placed billboards on major freeways, one around Waco, one up North of Denton on 35 near the river, East of Dallas on 20 & 30, West of FW on 20 & 30.

Billboards say "Welcome to North Texas...Home of the Mean Green"

Define the North Texas area and claim it.

ps, University Officials...if I see these billboards pop up I will want a lil some some.

• Upvote 2

Strategically placed billboards on major freeways, one around Waco, one up North of Denton on 35 near the river, East of Dallas on 20 & 30, West of FW on 20 & 30.

Billboards say "Welcome to North Texas...Home of the Mean Green"

Define the North Texas area and claim it.

ps, University Officials...if I see these billboards pop up I will want a lil some some.Thats the ticket. Those are excellent locations.