SMU must win now – or get left out in the cold

Harry

Wrong , filling stadiums is still a challenge for SMU!

Winning isn't the answer for them but helps some . People in the Dallas area and even out here somewhat have little respect for the place... They are too arrogant, love to belittle others, and so many of their grads are unlikable... As a result people other than alums just won't support that kind of school or athletic program... For example you see people wearing UT and A&M clothing that have no real connection to that school and I think the same is somewhat true of TCU even... You don't see that of SMU.

TCU is thought of by people in Ft. Worth as their university somewhat.... Does Dallas really think of SMU that way?..... no. .. and they don't care about it or attend. When they fill their stadium it is mostly from fans of the college they are playing. .... That was even an issue when the SWC broke up ... cheating (without feeling guilty) as SMU was was also a big issue. I know alums that blame others for their getting caught ... and have no problem with the fact they was cheating like crazy. I doubt the Methodist churches which founded the place would be proud of what it has become.

They have two big problems... winning (that is better now) but also likability and their public image.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I think we look like we belong back in the SLC to these people for a lot of reasons. Losing big time to SMU won't add anymore fuel to that fire. Losing games to outlets called Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, and Louisiana-Monroe have done more damage on that front. Playing teams at home in Denton like Texas Southern and South Alabama make this SLC perception even more accepted. I'll say this--if we lose to UTSA this year, that will do it for me. I'll let everyone know that the SLC really should be our home if we cannot beat a startup program in its third year of existence.

If we lose to a startup like UTSA...Mac should be fired after the game...there is NO excuse for a loss to UTSA. As Mac does allow excuses on his team...we shouldn't allow excuses to lose to a startup like UTSA.

Edited by houstonmeangreen
  • Upvote 1

This SMU football player sorta's sizes up the Mustang football program in his first 2 paragraphs (in living color)) in his letter to the SMU student newspaper.

Personally, I don't think winning and going to bowl games at SMU in their latest new conference will make one hill of beans difference. I think for North Texas....it will make a difference, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step---so dammit, lets start a multi-year winning and bowl attendance streak beginning this Fall, right?

"College football is a chance for a school to unite around its team and build spirit and camaraderie between its students, faculty and athletes. Most collegiate football schools get this, where students camp outside ticket offices or fans drive hours to cheer on their team.

Most schools thrive in this, except SMU. After having a dream come true with the invitation to walk-on to the football team in fall 2010, I believed I'd be able to be a part of watching SMU rise from the ashes and become a powerhouse. After back to back bowl trips and a 5-1 season record including a win over archrival TCU, I thought surely the days of empty stadiums and an uncaring student body were over. Boy was I wrong."

http://www.smudailycampus.com/football-player-asks-where-s-the-spirit-1.2653972#.UWI-AKKG1db

WOW...what a great recruiting letter for Mac to use

SMU's name carries a lot of cache outside of the state, especially with the network in Bristol. They see SMU's history,

True.... now... but those in Bristol and even out of the state don't buy tickets... and the BE will soon see how empty and unsupported SMU in Texas really is locally...

I think we look like we belong back in the SLC to these people for a lot of reasons. Losing big time to SMU won't add anymore fuel to that fire. Losing games to outlets called Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, and Louisiana-Monroe have done more damage on that front. Playing teams at home in Denton like Texas Southern and South Alabama make this SLC perception even more accepted. I'll say this--if we lose to UTSA this year, that will do it for me. I'll let everyone know that the SLC really should be our home if we cannot beat a startup program in its third year of existence.

Five or six posters on here have their panties in a wad and think everyone is ready to jump ship because they are. That is both ridiculous and hilarious. Support our team the best you are able or jump ship. The rats are right behind you.

I sat in Apogee today and loved it? Why, because I got to see my team play. I would rather see them than the Cowboys, Rangers, UT, OU, NASCAR, etc... Support our team. Everyone wanted us to go to CUSA and now everyone can't wait for us to fail. It is incredible to read some of this crap on here. Does this mean I am happy losing? Not at all. I hate losing. It ruins my week and pisses me off to no end, but degrading our team and the young men that chose to play and represent my university is wrong. We will be improved this year, but some of you will be too busy looking for what is wrong instead of what is right. F SMU. I wish them nothing but complete and utter failure on all levels and all sports.

• Upvote 2

Five or six posters on here have their panties in a wad and think everyone is ready to jump ship because they are. That is both ridiculous and hilarious. Support our team the best you are able or jump ship. The rats are right behind you.

I sat in Apogee today and loved it? Why, because I got to see my team play. I would rather see them than the Cowboys, Rangers, UT, OU, NASCAR, etc... Support our team. Everyone wanted us to go to CUSA and now everyone can't wait for us to fail. It is incredible to read some of this crap on here. Does this mean I am happy losing? Not at all. I hate losing. It ruins my week and pisses me off to no end, but degrading our team and the young men that chose to play and represent my university is wrong. We will be improved this year, but some of you will be too busy looking for what is wrong instead of what is right. F SMU. I wish them nothing but complete and utter failure on all levels and all sports.

So many problems with this post.

The "5 or 6" that you talk about used to be very hardcore, positive supports of the program. If you really think it is 5 or 6, go back and look at the picture posted by Tasty of the empty Superpit at the end of this year.

Support no matter what? Support when the leadership of your university refuses to support? Fine, if that's your fhiing. You say some are rats off a sinking ship, I say you are the cello player that just kept playing as the titanic broke apart.

Did it ever occur to you that demanding standards and success from the administration, AD, and coaches is actually SUPPORTING the players? Probably not.

Sometime I think some of our fans don't really want success, because that means more people would show up, the AD would have less time for them, they couldn't buy a cheap seat and slide into the good section without anyone caring , and they would feel far less important.

But keep on trying to run off committed fans, because that is the answer to everything.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So many problems with this post.

The "5 or 6" that you talk about used to be very hardcore, positive supports of the program. If you really think it is 5 or 6, go back and look at the picture posted by Tasty of the empty Superpit at the end of this year.

Support no matter what? Support when the leadership of your university refuses to support? Fine, if that's your fhiing. You say some are rats off a sinking ship, I say you are the cello player that just kept playing as the titanic broke apart.

Did it ever occur to you that demanding standards and success from the administration, AD, and coaches is actually SUPPORTING the players? Probably not.

Sometime I think some of our fans don't really want success, because that means more people would show up, the AD would have less time for them, they couldn't buy a cheap seat and slide into the good section without anyone caring , and they would feel far less important.

But keep on trying to run off committed fans, because that is the answer to everything.

So much wrong with this post...you don't come close to getting my point. This is one day, one day to watch our team at the end of Spring Practice, to look for improvement while understanding this is Spring Practice. You and a few others choose to look for the constant negative or to criticize the young men out there working hard to get better when representing our university. I do not like losing and don't want people to not care, but twisting almost every thread into a negative diatribe has grown tiresome. Here was a day to look at some of our new players, celebrate the all century team, watch some football, etc... Nothing is perfect, nothing but can't you take one day off from your campaign against the administration? Edited by UNTLifer

So much wrong with this post...you don't come close to getting my point. This is one day, one day to watch our team at the end of Spring Practice, to look for improvement while understanding this is Spring Practice. You and a few others choose to look for the constant negative or to criticize the young men out there working hard to get better when representing our university. I do not like losing and don't want people to not care, but twisting almost every thread into a negative diatribe has grown tiresome. Here was a day to look at some of our new players, celebrate the all century team, watch some football, etc... Nothing is perfect, nothing but can't you take one day off from your campaign against the administration?

I did... And I was just responding to your "5 or 6" post.

I didn't know the Spring game was still going on today. And I never criticize a player outside of his on the field performance.

As for the bolded, that was done a plenty this past winter and you didn't seem to have a problem with it. And not just how they played criticism, but attacks on their character.

But that's Ok, right?

Edited by UNT90