Bowl rating insights

untcampbell

(ignore if already discussed)

DMN posted ratings for the Texas teams involved in bowl games. Some items I found interesting:

Ratings for the major Texas markets (AUS, SAT, HOU, DFW) were listed for the Hawaii (SMU), Holiday (Baylor), Meineke (TTU), Armed Forces (Rice), Alamo (UT) and Buffalo WW (TCU) bowls. The Cotton Bowl was still to be played.

• The markets without a pro team usually did better than HOU or DFW. Austin had the highest ratings of the Texas markets for all six games, usually by a wide margin.
  • Birmingham, another market without a pro team, had the number 1 or 2 market for 5 of the 6 games.
  • DFW's most watched game was the Texas game, with 8.2% of households watching. Its least watched: SMU (1.7%).
  • In fact, SMU/Fresno scored a 1.7 in HOU and DFW, a 2.2 in SAT and a 2.7 in AUS, and was the lowest ranked bowl game of the six listed for every Texas market and for the number one market, Birmingham at 5.6. It really wasn't even close.

DFW ratings for the six games, listed by Texas team, and the rank amongst the 4 Texas markets:

SMU ("Dallas' team"): 1.7-fourth

Baylor: 4.3-second

TTU: 4.9-second

Rice: 3.1-third

Texas: 8.2-third

TCU: 7.2-second

In fairness, perhaps viewers just weren't ready to watch bowl games when SMU played on Christmas Eve, but note the date and game time shouldn't really matter because the measure is a % of households "watching" TV, any TV, any show, during the game's time frame.

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1

Maybe the reason the SMU game fared so poorly was because everyone else expected what I did and was as surprised by the outcome - and the score - as I was by their game against Houston. I expected a blowout, but in the opposite direction. What a random and unpredictable team they had this year.