Another UNT Basketball Practice Update

NTGabe15

Gabe really appreciate your updates. I like how you call it like you see it both good and bad and how you pick up on things like signs of leadership. Great job man ---- you really are keeping us pumped up about ball in anotherwise slow news cycle. GMG!

If anyone wants to get a glimpse of a team scrimmage most of the guys play at the rec on Monday's and Wednesdays starting at 4 for an hour at least. Yesterday was the first day I really got to sit and watch a good amount of basketball and I like what I saw. I watched 3 games to 11 and I'm going to highlight the performances. Teams were Patton, Coleman, Niko, Jones, and J Will vs Random Friend, T-Mitch, Rodger, Walton, and Holman.

Chris Jones

CJ displayed some great ball handling and passing. He was assisting a lot but he was taking the ball to the hole a lot and had the moves to get around anyone in his way. There were a few times when the small crowd that was watching would oooo and awe at some of the moves Chris was pulling off. He only took one jump shot and missed (an off balance mid range fade in Rodger's face).

Jordan Williams

J Will was shooting lights out. He made 6 of 8 or 9 three pointers and almost all were with a hand in his face. Jordan also had a really nice put back slam after someone missed a mid range jumper.

Rodger Franklin

Rodger is a work horse. I've seen him in the rec almost everyday shooting by him self or working on dribbling just trying to get better. In these scrimmages he's the leader. He's the one getting the other guys to stop talking and play some ball. He's also vocal on the court calling out screens helping on defense and always battling for the rebound. I loved the leadership Rog was showing on the court.

T-Mitch vs Keith Coleman

This match-up was a real treat. For anyone who hasn't seen Keith Coleman in person the dude is an absolute MONSTER. He has a build that reminds me of Dwight Howard. Tony brought up the ball most of the time for his team and was great about distributing the ball to everyone. T-Mitch displayed a little bit of everything from pulling up outside the 3pt line, to scrapping down low for offensive boards, and even drove the lane and threw down one of the hardest dunks I've ever seen in person. Playing defense on Keith proved to be a little tough for Tony though. Keith backed T-Mitch down multiple times but never got a great shot over Tony's long arms. Keith would also block Tony out for offensive rebounds and got a few easy put backs. Rog would yell "TONY KEEP THAT DUDE OUTTA THERE!" If not for Keith's size Tony would have had no trouble guarding him, he was just a little over powered. Both Tony and Keith pinned lay ups off the back board as well (Keith's probably would have been called a goal tend). Tony wasn't the only one with a thunderous dunk either Keith threw down a vicious 2 hand slam after losing Tony in traffic.

Everyone Else

Justin Patton - didn't impress me. He shot's didn't fall and he didn't seem to be as aggressive as the other guys I mentioned.

Brandon Walton - still has a good 3 ball but didn't see him do much else.

Niko - cleaned up some of the trash around the bucket and got to the hole a few times.

Jacob - tried to throw down some huge dunks over Keith but were both blocked. He was pretty low key but when he shot he made them.

Clarke - saw him up there Monday and has a great 3 point shot and made 6-7 in a row consistently (No defender)

PJ - didn't show up on time and was sitting on the side when I left but he's been up there previously and has great quickness and the ability to get to the bucket like Chris.

Alzee - I haven't seen Al at the rec at all. I don't know if his class schedule conflicts but I go to the rec various times and I never see Alzee there or with the guys. Seems to me Rog noticed this and has assumed the leadership role. Really wish I knew what was going on there.

TJ - haven't seen TJ at the rec either but he might still be dealing with his eligibility issues.

The thing that impressed me the most while watching this is, it wasn't just some pick up game, these guys were intense. There was trash talking between Keith and Tony and between teams. These guys were really pushing each other to get better and not just letting it be an NBA all-star game out there. I'm really excited for this season and can't wait to see how far we go. GO MEAN GREEN!

Cool write up, but you really need a girlfriend lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Cool write up, but you really need a girlfriend lol

I have a girlfriend Mr Sig Ep but thanks for the concern.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2