ODU may make announcement on Monday.

University of Richmond athletic director Jim Miller, whose school is a member of the A-10, told WXGI (950) on Wednesday that "Old Dominion, I understand, is most likely to accept a bid to Conference USA."

"I think that's imminent," Miller said. "From everything I've heard, they'll make an announcement on Monday. I haven't heard that from any ODU folks, but that's what I understand is right around the corner.

http://www2.timesdis...//bit.ly/KRRnwu

There's no reason to wonder anymore whether Old Dominion University is joining Conference USA.

The silence from the Hampton Boulevard campus speaks volumes.

The silence is a prelude to imminent change.

http://hamptonroads....not-destination

Edited by Mark Gommesen

In much of the print media, the reporters are already talking like CUSA is beneath ODU and could use this as a stepping-stone to the Big East. One called the new members, including us, a group of "wannabies".

Who do they think they are? SMU?

• Upvote 2

In much of the print media, the reporters are already talking like CUSA is beneath ODU and could use this as a stepping-stone to the Big East. One called the new members, including us, a group of "wannabies".

I think someone needs to explain to ODU and UTSA fans some simple truths. UTSA will NOT be invited to the Big 12 in the next 5 years and ODU will NOT be invited to the ACC in the next 5 years. Now the good news you will be a member of a major conference with 7 bowl tie-ins. A conference with built n relational rivalries A conference with Media and other revenues that are substantially higher than the conferences you left and are expected to improve. The C-USA your school and athletes will receive national exposure. With the end of automatic qualifiers and institution of playoffs by the BCS. All division 1 conferences are structurally equal. The key will be the quality of the level of play in the conference. There is no reason why the C-USA cannot have two or three of the next "Boise States" or "TCUs" and send send teams to major bowls or a national championship playoff.

Just think, UTSA if your team wins the C-USA championship in football and is ranked within the top 6 in the country, you could be competing for a national championship.

And ODU, you will have quality competition in basketball in the C-USA, but the chances of winning a conference championship and the NCAA tournament are far better than if you join the Atlantic 10.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This "stepping-stone for said school tommyrot" will go on till the end of time. When we start winning again at a national level like we did in the 60's and 70's the media will crown us as the next school moving up.

The Big East people have no idea of North Texas history and legacy in NCAA D1 which began in the Abner Haynes Era because they are up there and we are down here. Hell, they probably think we have cowboys, Indians and old time saloons here in Texas. (Well, we sorta' still do but in a different way than they think).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I love this:

ODU was a member of the Sun Belt for a decade before signing up with the CAA 21 years ago. Does anybody envision the Monarchs in C-USA 20 years from now? Or C-USA even surviving that long?
The sad thing if ODU declines the C-USA, there is a high likelihood ODU would end back in the Sun Belt, unless it reverses it commitment to football.