Unt Plays Well Vs # 4 Ok State

UNTDude

Great turn out of UNT fans in Stillwater to watch the Mean Green Soccer team play #4 ranked OK State. Most of us were expecting mid-60 degree weather, but at game time it was 50 and dropped to the mid 40's by the end of the first half. Our girls lost to the OK State 3-1. But, the actual score should have been 2-1 OK State (I'll get back to that). While I was chatting with some parents before the game, I "called it" that OK State would score early on our girls. My reasoning was that they drove 4.5 hours in two UNT vans and warmed up for about 35 minutes before the game...I figured OK State would be looser and ready to play early on. My prediction game true as our back line failed to clear a loose ball in front of the net which led to a easy goal within the first 5 minutes. Our girls held them scoreless the rest of the first half with both teams having chances to score.

UNT scored early in the second half, (goal Michelle Young assist Nikki Crocco), on a really nice through ball that Michelle buried evening the score at 1-1. Midway through the second half, OK State scored on a cross where one of their defenders headed the ball in. OK State was physically bigger than our girls and their defender went right over the top of our defenders for a nice header.

The final goal was the controversial one. A through ball was sent from their midfield to a forward that was clearly 5 yards off sides. Our defensive back line stopped in their tracks letting the OSU forward receive the ball.... the only problem was the linesman and referee were 15 yards behind the play and didn't make the call. After the game, OSU Coach Carmichael came up to Hedlund and told him that his player was off sides (the play happened at their end of the field). Those of us that have watched years of soccer know bad calls happen and we let it go. But at the end of the day this is only a spring game and our girls played competitively and continue to show great potential heading into next fall. It would have really been interesting to play them at our house, I think we could have won!

Edited by UNTDude
  • Upvote 5

Really appreciate the update. I was hoping to be able to attend this game, but with my bride out of town and my referee schedule (3 games starting at 9:00AM) Saturday, there was just no way for me to get to Stillwater in time. It

's a good thing that call (non-call) was not the deciding goal. Like you, I'll write that off to lazy officiating and see this as a 2-1 loss after a 4.5 hour drive. It's spring ball, so no harm-no foul. It will give Coach Hedlund a good look-see at the ladies for the fall. A 2-1 loss at Okie State is not a bad deal.

Thanks again...

GO UNT SOCCER!