Uh's Case Keenum Wins Appeal For 6Th Year

Keith7

I just wonder how everybody else is able to get these hardships except us. Could it be the blame lies in house? Have no idea, just asking.

Me either, but one has to think it has more to do with "influence and money"...if you have the influence and have the money, the rules are not so rigid it seems. Perhaps the blame lies with the way the NCAA writes these regulations and then enforces or does not enforce them depending upon circumstances. I would think that has way more to do with it than anything UNT does or does not do.

UH has zero pull in the NCAA.

Keenum had an injury his freshman year as was indicated in the article. The only way you get 6 years generally is to have 2 injury years.

If he hadn't been injured, he wouldn't have played his freshman year anyways because Kolb was the QB and there was an adequate backup. But because Keenum had the injury, he got the 6th year on a technicality.

UH has zero pull in the NCAA.

Keenum had an injury his freshman year as was indicated in the article. The only way you get 6 years generally is to have 2 injury years.

If he hadn't been injured, he wouldn't have played his freshman year anyways because Kolb was the QB and there was an adequate backup. But because Keenum had the injury, he got the 6th year on a technicality.

Question. Are you saying he never played a down his freshman year? If so, why not just a regular redshirt? If I get what you are saying, he never played a down, but yet he had a medical condition, so even though the plan had always been to redshirt him, he gets a 6th year?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, very little of what the NCAA does in these cases does make sense.

Question. Are you saying he never played a down his freshman year? If so, why not just a regular redshirt? If I get what you are saying, he never played a down, but yet he had a medical condition, so even though the plan had always been to redshirt him, he gets a 6th year?

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, very little of what the NCAA does in these cases does make sense.

Correct. He did not play a down his freshman year. There is no difference between a regular redshirt and a medical redshirt except when the player misses most/all of another season due to injury. If a player misses most or all of 2 seasons due to injury, he can petition for a 6th year which is what happened here. If the NCAA had determined that Keenum wasn't injured and could have played his freshman year, he would not have been eligible for a 6th year.