Sbc 12/22

Finally...back in the office...time to talk SBC hoops on the company dime again.

25. Louisville @ Western Kentucky

Florida A&M @ Florida International

UALR vs. Oral Roberts @ Las Vegas

Idaho State vs. Troy @ Logan, Utah

Northern Colorado @ UL -Monroe

Arkansas State @ Missouri State

Florida Atlantic @ DePaul

As John and I mentioned...IN THE PODCAST...Western has beaten a better Louisville team very recently...2008 when the Cardinals were ranked #3 in the country. The only two holdovers from that WKU team are Pettigrew, who went for 17 on 7-11 shooting and pulled in 12 boards last time out against Louisville, and Sergio Kerusch, who struggled to the tune of 1-10 shooting, 5 points and 8 boards. Certainly he'd like to go out better. Louisville's top 3 scorers are guards...Preston Knowles at 6'2", a streaky perimeter shooter...Peyton Siva at 5'11", an at times absolutely dynamic playmaker, but one who is also turnover prone as he prefers the flashy play to the easy one...and Mike Marra at 6'4", a do-everything wing who is really struggling with his stroke right now. Terrence Jennings (6'9" 220), Rakeem Buckles (6'8" 200) and Gorgui Dieng (6'10" 215) will see the most minutes upfront...nobody of just overwhelming size and strength...good for a bit of an undersized WKU team. They also have a kid named Jared Swopshire at 6'8" who has yet to play this season...I'm not sure if its an injury or academic, but if it is the later this would be right about the time he could be eligible. I watched most of Louisville's loss to Drexel (I know, I need a life...) and Drexel did 2 things to win that game...slowed it down and dictated pace to a Louisville team that wants to run, not something that really suits WKU...and dominated the glass, especially on the offensive end. Despite WKU's lack of height they have been very good on the glass. If WKU takes this, they get through their murderous OOC schedule at .500...oh...and this is at Diddle, just their 4th home game of the year...2-1 so far with the only loss coming in the 2OT game to South Carolina.

FIU should win...and perhaps if the SHST game is an indicator...should win big. I hope with Legion in that they've figured it out.

UALR had some early OOC success...but I think they're coming back to reality. They've now lost 3 straight when after they had a chance to really make an impression...they have to play back-to-back nights following a game they were never really in against Akron...and against a team they've already lost to by 26 this season. Don't hold your breath.

Troy beat a D-1 school last night!!! Toss up if they can do it again tonight.

ULM is fresh off a heartbreaking conference loss to FAU...but they get a mediocre N. Colorado team on game 4 of a 6 game road trip. Would be a nice building piece of a win for Keith Richard.

Arkansas State just lost second leading scorer Daniel Bryant (kicked off the team) from a team that is lacking any real perimeter scoring threat...and they've already lost to Mizzou State this season. This is without question the most disappointing team in the SBC this season.

FAU closes out a 5 game road trip (already 3-1) with a trip to DePaul...the team that will unquestionable own the cellar of the Big East this year. Whatever the reason for Ray Taylor's early season benching and limited minutes, Jarvis has turned the diminutive one loose on this roadie to the tune of 17ppg, 5.3rpg, 4.5apg over their last 4. Big chance to make a statement tonight to for FAU.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 2

I'll split the difference and go with 4.

FIU, Troy, FAU, and either ULM or WKU.

Good writeup. This is the sort of legwork and preparation that's going to make Peach Basket #3 the best one yet.

No difference to split? He said 5 (or 6 if WKU upsets) including us....so that is pretty much your prediction. I'm calling 3, you're thinking four.

• Upvote 1

Don't question the FIU win... Dominique Ferguson is eligible and will play tonight.

EDIT: Also, FAU vs. DePaul is already listed on Channelsurfing.

Sweet, Thank you. I told the Owlsnest about Channelsurfing.

I know the confrence could use a FIU win tonight in Bball, but sorry I hope they lose and lose big. Just he nature of our relationship. :sword:

I already have to stomach the thougth of them in a game this year. :)

Sweet, Thank you. I told the Owlsnest about Channelsurfing.

I know the confrence could use a FIU win tonight in Bball, but sorry I hope they lose and lose big. Just he nature of our relationship. :sword:

I already have to stomach the thougth of them in a game this year. :)

It may be this year, it may be next year... But the time will come when you guys earn an NCAA berth.

When it happens (and you get stuck as a 15 seed because of conference RPI), I promise that the next season you will discover reserves of goodwill and encouragement for other SBC basketball teams that you never dreamed you had inside of you.

Even for FIU. :)

When it happens (and you get stuck as a 15 seed because of conference RPI), I promise that the next season you will discover reserves of goodwill and encouragement for other SBC basketball teams that you never dreamed you had inside of you.

Well said Tasty.

I hope the rest of our SBC visitors are paying attention.