Glen Mason Article

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1156444

Before taking the Minnesota job, Mason had success at Kent State and Kansas.

"A coaches' won-loss record can be misleading because it's harder to win at some places than others," said Mason, who is 123-121-1 in 21 seasons as a coach. "I won at three places that were perennial losers. When I left, they were consistent winners. And I did it the right way. I didn't break any rules and I had the respect of my colleagues."

"There are a couple ways to look at it," he said. "I used to tell our coaches ... we are going to be fundamentalists. We are going to coach football and take the best players we can get and improve them. It didn't matter how well we recruited at Minnesota, we weren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State. They have a lot of built-in advantages. But we could recruit ... good, hard-nosed, hard-working kids who may have been a step slow or an inch short ... and we were going to develop them. That's what we did.

"...You need someone who can go out and sell the school and get the best talent you can. But then you better have a guy who can really develop them."

• Upvote 1

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1156444

Before taking the Minnesota job, Mason had success at Kent State and Kansas.

"A coaches' won-loss record can be misleading because it's harder to win at some places than others," said Mason, who is 123-121-1 in 21 seasons as a coach. "I won at three places that were perennial losers. When I left, they were consistent winners. And I did it the right way. I didn't break any rules and I had the respect of my colleagues."

"There are a couple ways to look at it," he said. "I used to tell our coaches ... we are going to be fundamentalists. We are going to coach football and take the best players we can get and improve them. It didn't matter how well we recruited at Minnesota, we weren't going to out-recruit Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State. They have a lot of built-in advantages. But we could recruit ... good, hard-nosed, hard-working kids who may have been a step slow or an inch short ... and we were going to develop them. That's what we did.

"...You need someone who can go out and sell the school and get the best talent you can. But then you better have a guy who can really develop them."

Certainly like his attitude.

Certainly like his attitude.

I was at Kansas when Mason was there. I love Mason. But I'm not sure he'd be a great fit for North Texas. He's a Big 10 guy. Even when he was at Kansas he got a lot of recruits from Detroit and Ohio. Also, I'm not sure how into he'd be into greeting donors, etc.

But if we did hire Mason, North Texas would be winning multiple Sun Belt titles early in his career.