Unt-Wku Coverage

Brett Vito

EXERPTS

“We have been through a ton of adversity and needed a leader whether it be a teammate or a coach,” UNT defensive end Brandon Akpunku said. “We bought into what Coach Canales told us. He told us to lock the gate every day and not open it until we were done fighting. He brought a chain to practice and locked the gate. He didn’t open it until we were done. He told us to do the same thing today.”

“It’s bittersweet,” Riley Dodge said. “I came here to play football. It’s tough, but you have to step up for your teammates. I couldn’t mope around and sulk.”

“You wait for years for an opportunity,” Canales said. “There are those times you think you have a job and don’t get it. This opportunity is special. I will never forget Bowling Green.”

Edited by MeanGreen61

EXERPTS

“We have been through a ton of adversity and needed a leader whether it be a teammate or a coach,” UNT defensive end Brandon Akpunku said. “We bought into what Coach Canales told us. He told us to lock the gate every day and not open it until we were done fighting. He brought a chain to practice and locked the gate. He didn’t open it until we were done. He told us to do the same thing today.”

“It’s bittersweet,” Riley Dodge said. “I came here to play football. It’s tough, but you have to step up for your teammates. I couldn’t mope around and sulk.”

“You wait for years for an opportunity,” Canales said. “There are those times you think you have a job and don’t get it. This opportunity is special. I will never forget Bowling Green.”

This is why Canales is intriguing to me. He's passionate about coaching, but more so, about coaching at North Texas. This is an attitude I haven't seen in a coach here in years. From the post game video, it is also obvious that the coaches care for him. You put a man in charge that has the players and coaches working hard for him and you've got one of the main ingredients for success (recruiting being the other).

I also have much respect for Riley. That young man has put up with a lot throughout his career as TD's son. To come back the week after your dad is fired, with a broken left wrist and to manage the game and produce a 27 point win with your teammates tells me alot about this young man. Glad he is on our team.

• Upvote 4