Tobi's Post Game Offensive Assessment

All About UNT

I'm not going to argue with that assessment since I agree with almost all of it.

Whether they like it or not, Chase Baine needs to start the reps with the first unit. Riley looked tentative Saturday, not at all like the veteran that he is. Furthermore, his arm is now a detriment and he is prone to fumble. So Baine it is. The first few games it won't be pretty but in the final analysis I think that he'll do a servicable job.

I agree also that the new formations have helped take away Dunbar as a breakaway runner. But, he is also a very good receiver and if he can get away from the area that is stacked to defend him he could still do a lot of damage.

Canales is going to have to adjust to a different style for the good of the team. He should be experienced enough that he can come up with a few wrinkles to adapt to the personnel that he has and can best utilize their talents. It won't be easy to unlearn the thinking that you have been comfortable with for a new system but I think that he has to try.

Just an idea, but why not give Riley at least a week as the number one before we all call for (insert name) to be QB. He actually did very well last year and I may be alone but I highly doubt the coaching staff has a Manning clone waiting to be discovered. The coaching staff has designed an offense for the Tune/Thompson type of QB and Riley this year has primarily practiced as a wildcat QB, not a good combination for Riley to be unexpectedly inserted into a game.

Riley may not be the preferred answer, but I think those that expect a fourth string walk on to do better are wrong. I just hope that Riley can remain healthy something he has been unable to do so far. I am sure Dodson or Blaine will be getting a chance fairly quickly to see what they can do. As I have commented before, Dodge's decision not to get more scholarship QBs was questionable and now it may prove disastrous. ,

That is a really good, positive suggestion about what can be done to salvage the rest of the season, and I have to admit it got me a little fired up reading it...

However, I think expecting Baine to average 15-27 for 197 and 1 TD and no INT's is being VERY optimisitic... I think under the best of circumstances we could expect Baine to average about 140 yards and I think we can expect about a pick per game...

Dunbar and the running backs are going to have to make up the difference...

I still think the rest of this season doesn't offer much hope, but I can see how it might be possible to salvage a little somethin' somethin'...

I too agree with the bleacher report assessment. I would add that the walk-on Dodson (Dotson?) #10, should be given a lot of reps as well. He did a very servicable job in fall scrimmages.

To me losing #81 was almost as big a loss as Thompson. All you had to do was get the ball in his hands and he often turned it into a 15 yrd gain.