Back From The Game

letsgiveacheer

I just returned to Manhattan from a disappointing game. I'll let those more knowledgeable about football talk about specifics, but our team looked beaten down soon after the game started. The injuries were difficult to watch and I hope those young men recover soon. Army showed quite a bit of discipline, drive and determination all through the game.

The game day experience could not be beat. There must not be a better place in the US to watch a game. The parade was great and the campus is beautiful. Their fans were friendly as well. Even the Academy band played Fight, North Texas at pre game and at the parade as a salute.

I am not very good at these types of things, but I would guess there were at least 300 NT fans there. I enjoyed hanging out with Green Joe and his lovely wife.

The day was about perfect except for the game. Reminds me of that old joke...other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

It's martini time.

• Upvote 1

This was a great trip. Except for that football thing.

We left Manhattan (NY not kan) on a real train. The Metro North took us to Peekskill NY where we picked up a cab for the 20 or 30 minute ride to the "garrison." It's really a pretty campus. they have a efficient way of getting fans from the gate to the stadium and back. Lots of school busses run over and over. Even if there's just 3 or 4 people abord. The stadium was built in the last 1800s and I think it's similar to what we're gooing to have in our new place. The people were wonderful. n fact, I haven't spoken to anyone that wasn't anxious to help with directions and "how to" advice. I haven't seen one homeless person sleeping in a doorway and only a few panhandlers on the street.

It's always fun to meet people ona road trips that I've "met" here on the board.

This trip is one of my all time favorites. Again, except for that football thing.

• Upvote 1

I cannot agree more...this was one of my favorite football trips of all time (other than the "football" fiasco!) The post was awesome (beautiful architecture)...cadets we spoke to were fine young gentleman and proud they will be the leaders of tomorrow...awesome stadium...probably my second best experience ever. Watching the parachute team was ALMOST as good as witnessing the Navy fly-over (but that will NEVER be beat...those jets looked to be about 20 yards above Fouts!!!) Army band was good...playing our fight song was a nice touch.

However, we spoke to some of the players before the game...and they looked very lethargic and not very pumped up at all. There was no excitement...no intensity at all. Then the game started...and the onslaught began.

We witnessed players outright missing tackles...lolly-gagging...and not playing with any vigor whatsoever. I will not point out any names...but very disappointed by some of the personal efforts. Robertson had a HELL of a game, though...maybe Phillips too...but that was about it. Defense had an OK game...offense was non existent.

We were able to speak with Coach Canales for a while (what an awesome guy, by the way) and he seemed excited about the game. Time to make him HC??

Anyway, not much else to add...had to drive from West Point to DC after the game. That drive sucked after that kind of loss. Honestly, it is like the team never even showed up.

One more thing...should have went for it on 4th and 1.....

Edited by NCMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1