DRC art on Vilma Grismanauskaite

OldTimer

Women's basketball: Time runnning out

03/01/2003

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

North Texas coach Tina Slinker thought she landed a star when Vilma Grismanauskaite spurned an offer from Purdue to sign with the Lady Eagles.

Vilma Grismanauskaite

Grismanauskaite, who will play her final game at the Super Pit on Saturday night against New Mexico State, had the size, skills and shooting touch Slinker dreams about in post players. However, the 6-4 native of Lithuania admits that she hasn’t come close to fulfilling her potential.

"I could have done better," Grismanauskaite said with a shrug, "but it’s kind of too late to look back now."

Grismanauskaite, who transferred from Weatherford College, has not been a complete bust. She has provided an inside defensive presence — blocking 91 shots the last two seasons — that UNT hadn’t had in Slinker’s tenure.

But Slinker had much bigger plans for Grismanau-skaite, who the coach saw as the Lady Eagles’ top offensive threat after losing five seniors off of last season’s team. Despite repeated tries to make Grismanauskaite the focus of the offense, she is averaging less than eight points per game this season.

"She’s had an impact on our program," Slinker said. "It’s just not as great as I thought it would be."

Slinker believes that Grismanauskaite has enough physical talent to play in the WNBA, though she does not have the mentality. According to Slinker, Grismanauskaite’s passive nature has prevented her from becoming a dominant post player.

"To do that, you have to have a passion for the game," Slinker said. "I think Vilma likes the game, but I don’t know if she loves the game."

The most frustrating thing for Slinker is that Grismanauskaite has shown flashes of greatness. For example, she scored a career-high 22 points Feb. 8 to nearly lead the Lady Eagles to an upset win at Western Kentucky.

She followed that by failing to score in double figures in the next four games.

"One day, it just comes like that," Grismanauskaite said. "The other day, it’s hard."

For the Lady Eagles to pose a legitimate threat in the Sun Belt tournament, Grismanauskaite will probably have to be at her best.

"I will try," she said, "but I don’t know what can turn me on."

Added Slinker: "For her own sake, I’d like to see her leave the program feeling good about herself. For ours, too."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-566-6870.