Ncaa On Verge Of 68-Team Men's Tournament

I'm so glad they didn't go to 96.

I guess this will now mean....4 play-in games? Right?

Yes, probably not all in Dayton tho - like the 64/65 game is now. I suppose they could play a double header Tuesday and then one Wednesday. I doubt they'd have all four on the same day -- but what do I know.

The deal is several years, I'm wondering if there is language in it that allows for continual expansion. Like...the NCAA knew everyone hated the idea of 96, so they worked the deal to go 68 for acouple of years...then 72...76...etc...

I could see that. They could sorta avoid the shitstorm from the public that way and still get to their beloved 96 number

Edited by CMJ

I'm so glad they didn't go to 96.

I guess this will now mean....4 play-in games? Right?

Yes, four play in games for the 16 seed. I like this much better than 96, but it might only be temporary, the NCAA seems really intent on expanding it to 96.

Another interesting thing about the article is that now all games will be shown live on different networks. This will prevent the hair pulling that goes along with cutting back and forth between 3 different games. To be able to sit and watch one game uninterrupted will be bliss.

Yes, four play in games for the 16 seed. I like this much better than 96, but it might only be temporary, the NCAA seems really intent on expanding it to 96.

Another interesting thing about the article is that now all games will be shown live on different networks. This will prevent the hair pulling that goes along with cutting back and forth between 3 different games. To be able to sit and watch one game uninterrupted will be bliss.

Somehow I get the feeling that the reason that the Dance didn't go to 96 was because the networks were unwilling pay the additional costs. As much as the NCAA would like to have 96 teams, I don't believe that can happen until 2025.