Memphis Losing ......

bdan2002

ESPN had Memphis as one of the last 4 in and was a 12 seed. I think with them losing today to Houston, they are out of the tourney - I think conference USA only gets 1 team in instead of 2 (assuming the UTEP wins the tourney). I also think that if another surprise team wins, we could move to a 14 seed. Do you think their loss helps us?

ESPN had Memphis as one of the last 4 in and was a 12 seed. I think with them losing today to Houston, they are out of the tourney - I think conference USA only gets 1 team in instead of 2 (assuming the UTEP wins the tourney). I also think that if another surprise team wins, we could move to a 14 seed. Do you think their loss helps us?

No, this (on its own) doesn't help us.

Memphis would have been an at-large team. That's not going to happen now. Instead, another at-large team will take their place; one with a better record/RPI/SOS than us.

Now, if Houston goes on and wins the C-USA tournament, that would put another team with an inferior resume in the tournament and boost us up.

But Memphis alone losing doesn't put a team with a worse resume than ours in the tournament. Houston, Southern Miss, or UCF winning the C-USA auto-bid would help us, though. And Houston is 2 wins away from doing it. At the moment, Southern Miss has a double digit lead on UAB, and if they win, that would guarantee that either Southern Miss or Houston would play in the final.

Which is good, since ESPN has UAB on the bubble also.

Again... If someone mentions a team being "on the bubble", they're talking about them as a potential at-large team. Any at-large team is going to have a better seed than us.

What we need is lesser teams to win tournaments and earn automatic bids. That raises our floor.

EDIT to clarify: It's not about UAB losing, it's about USM winning, and either them or Houston being one game away from the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Mean Green blog says these are the teams we should root for to gain their conference auto bid, to push UNT up into the 14th seed or better....

American East- Boston U

Big Sky - Montana

Big West- Anyone but Long Beach State or Pacific

The MAC- Buffalo or Eastern Michigan

MEAC- Delaware State

NEC- Robert Morris

Patriot League- Lafayette

Southland- Texas A&M-CC