Womans BB asst to move on, accepts

OldTimer

Stoehr leaves Lady Eagles after five seasons for Florida State

08/13/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

After five seasons as an assistant for the North Texas women?s basketball team, Scott Stoehr is leaving for a similar position at Florida State University.

During Stoehr?s tenure at UNT, the Lady Eagles recorded three of the four winningest seasons in the program?s history. UNT won a school-record 21 games last season and made its second consecutive appearance in the WNIT.

"It?s kind of bittersweet leaving," said Stoehr, who worked primarily with the guards and was in charge of the team?s conditioning program. "I appreciate everything [head coach Tina Slinker] has allowed me to do here and really enjoyed my time here. I?m very proud of what we accomplished.

"At the same time, it?s an opportunity that I just can?t pass up professionally."

Slinker said she expects to fill the vacancy within 10 days, acknowledging that former Ryan girls coach Latricia Trammell will be strongly considered for the job.

Slinker added that she was proud to place an assistant with a program in the prestigious Atlantic Coast Conference.

"It says a lot for what the program has accomplished and what he has accomplished," Slinker said. "Scott was really an integral part of the turnaround here."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572.