Random Ull Ramblings

GrandGreen

Typical; fire the coach, bench the quarterback. It was a hard loss and Riley definitely had a horrible first half, but lets add just a touch of prospective. NT played well enough and in fact should have won this game as well as the Ohio game. There was not a game last year including NT's one win that I thought that about.

Any speculative why no one attended that game. From a tv view it appears that 12,000 was a very generous attendance count. I suppose ULL just can't compete against a LSU tv game.

Like any close games there are a number of plays that could have turned around the outcome. In this game: Riley's turnovers, awful punting game, and untimely penalties. The official really either blew the call or threw the game with that blatantly bad call on Hill at the end of the game. I don't think there was any foul but it was obvious that there was not enough contact to call a penalty at that point in the game. If it was hold at the line of scrimmage than the flag should have been thrown then not seconds after the play was over.

Great play by the Defense for most of the game, but they still continue to falter late with the game on the line. For the most part, NT completely dominated a touted ULL offensive line. The offense played well other than the turnovers but also couldn't mount that late drive that could and should have won the game. Obviously, a great game by Dunbar.

Back to the coach and the QB, Riley is the quarterback and Dodge is not going anywhere. Riley has had a couple of bad games in a row, but is the future of the program. Those that think that NT has better options at this point are mistaken. Riley has got to learn not to throw in heavy coverage. Someone opined that he is much better than ULL's young QB and I agree, but ULL's QB did not make the mistakes Riley did. I think most would agree that Todd Dodge was not ready to be a FB division head coach when hired. However, he has demonstrated enough of a turn around now that he is probably the best option going forward. I guess it is great to let of steam and demand a coaching change but he is not going to be fired during the season. As far as changing the offensive coordinator, do you think that Dodge doesn't really fill that position?

NT has lost two games this year that were all but won. While this is tremously dissappointing, it does demonstrate progress. I don't think anybody is happy with the record, but it is still way to early to give up on this team. This team has talent and probably as much depth as any NT team. What it does not have, is a winning attitude. I saw a team Saturday night, that looks superior to ULL in almost all facets but when the game was on the line, folded; good teams don't do that.

Edited by GrandGreen

. The official really either blew the call or threw the game with that blatantly bad call on Hill at the end of the game. I don't think there was any foul but it was obvious that there was not enough contact to call a penalty at that point in the game. If it was hold at the line of scrimmage than the flag should have been thrown then not seconds after the play was over.

aw heck, come on now. that ref has only been doing this for a few years. cut him some slack he had trouble finding that darn yellow thing. give him some more time he is bound to get better.