Scholarship Reception

My wife and I had the pleasure last evening of representing the Denton Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association at the annual scholarship reception for both donors and students last evening at the Gateway Center. It was a great evening, and we were honored to be in attendance. The Denton Chapter has recently endowed an academic scholarship for deserving students graduating from a Denton County high school, but has for many years provided scholarships as part of its mission and focus. We are proud that our efforts have grown to the extent that we endow a scholarship.

The evening showed how very critical it is to continue to donate to scholarship funds at UNT. We met some great students, many of whom would not have been able to attend UNT without scholarship money to help pay the way. All are really performing in the classroom and many already have big plans to "give back" to UNT upon graduation. This is what it is all about. I hope everyone has a chance to meet some of thje scholarship students from time to time. If you do, take the time to talk with them and hear a bit of their story. Amazing kids...one in attendance last evening was the first to graduate from HIGH SCHOOL in the family...HS...not just first to go to college, and the family indicated "why go to college, you just graduated from HS, that is enough"! Wow, what a kid to press on with college, and, obviously, gets no family support financially (and I doubt emotionally either after the lack of encouragement to go to college at all).

Folks, if you can, open your pocketbooks and give to a scholarship at UNT. Trust me, you will really be making a difference in the lives of students who represent our future.

The evening just made me realize evn more how so very many good things are happening at UNT these days. WOW, what a great bunch of quality kids and students. I am so gald to be part of their lives.

GO MEAN GREEN! Support students with scholarship dollara...you will be glad you did!