Why Not Deloach?

greenminer

Since some have missed it (or maybe I'm imagining them), I thought we could have a constructive approach towards DeLoach.

So, this begs the question: Why should Gary be untouchable?

Points to ponder:

If Dodge's offense is under so much fire, why is the defense not?

Rumors abound that DeLoach doesn't have much control regarding personnel.

It does not take a football genius to see good/bad football...

...a corollary: it does not take a genius to see improvement/regression.

I'm of the opinion that Gary gets this pass because 1) He has recent success with many skins on the wall on the college level and 2) his defense has, IMO, shown improvement from game 1 until now.

It is just my humble opinion. More importantly, I wanted this to be addressed openly, rather than hinted at in between replies to be skimmed over by people who read what they want to read and ignore the rest.

Edited by greenminer

Quick add:

I'm also of the opinion that DeLoach has a far deeper squad to work with this time around (with the exception of a 3 year run of linebackers under Dickey). The difference - at least up front - is that the 2001 - 04 squads had several key playmakers at each area of the field. I.E. Kennedy on the line, Spencer and Kassell on the 2nd level, and Neon/Pearl/Buckles/Jones hunting in the back.

Supposedly, these kids are bigger and faster across the two deep, though. I'll let ya'll debate the validity of that...

Since some have missed it (or maybe I'm imagining them), I thought we could have a constructive approach towards DeLoach.

So, this begs the question: Why should Gary be untouchable?

Points to ponder:

If Dodge's offense is under so much fire, why is the defense not?

Rumors abound that DeLoach doesn't have much control regarding personnel.

It does not take a football genius to see good/bad football...

...a corollary: it does not take a genius to see improvement/regression.

I'm of the opinion that Gary gets this pass because 1) He has recent success with many skins on the wall on the college level and 2) his defense has, IMO, shown improvement from game 1 until now.

It is just my humble opinion. More importantly, I wanted this to be addressed openly, rather than hinted at in between replies to be skimmed over by people who read what they want to read and ignore the rest.

Thanks for having the courage to post this. My main reason for asking why Deloach gets a pass and Dodge does not is because many have posted that it will take Deloach "years" to build the defense. So does that mean if we have no improvement, as for wins and losses next year, will he then come under fire? They say he needs to get players for his "system". Yet, the same expect Dodge to work miracles with the players that are here. Deloach has said, though not at a press conference, that he does not have the playmakers right now, and not a word is said. Dodge has the courage to say he does not have the playmakers at a press conference and is ridiculed. I just think if you give one part of the team "years" to build, it stands to reason that you should do the same for the offense as well. You get beat because your defense did not stop the other team from scoring enough times, and your offense did not score enough. I know field position, time on the field, etc are all tangibles that come into to play, but the bottom line is the other team was not stopped. Unfortunately, there are no points for improvement, nor handicaps like golf.

Edited by Green Dozer

I will give Coach DeLoach a pass this year because of what we know. We KNOW he has taken a squad of defensive players who most considerred "marginaly talented" and made a top-20 defense out of them. We KNOW Gary DeLoach taught the UCLA secondary the meaning of the words "aggressive" and "relentless". We KNOW he takes the first two years of building a defense to recruits players to fill NEEDS...(IE, if he coached the offense this year... probably doesnt sign more JUCO WR's?) I'm not saying DeLoach gets a pass and Todd Dodge doesnt? I think year three is when we find out if the TD experiment works on the field. We know it worked off the field, getting people interested in the program. Year three has to start to put something in the win colunm. I truly hope we will see that. There are of course things I'm not fond of regarding TD decisions...(Tune getting playing time instead of Meager, Burning Riley's red shirt at WR while scholarship WR's sit on the bench, Dickey players shelved, practices off-limits, etc...) but we have to have faith as Fans and Alums that TD knows what he is doing? We really have no choice. So I say let year three tell the story for both TD and Coach DeLoach. I'm not asking for a national championship, just a noticeable improvement. Coach DeLoach has already proven he can do that, so yes... he gets a pass. The real question is.....

No need to say it.. you all know what was coming.

GMG!!!

I will give Coach DeLoach a pass this year because of what we know. We KNOW he has taken a squad of defensive players who most considerred "marginaly talented" and made a top-20 defense out of them. We KNOW Gary DeLoach taught the UCLA secondary the meaning of the words "aggressive" and "relentless". We KNOW he takes the first two years of building a defense to recruits players to fill NEEDS...(IE, if he coached the offense this year... probably doesnt sign more JUCO WR's?) I'm not saying DeLoach gets a pass and Todd Dodge doesnt? I think year three is when we find out if the TD experiment works on the field. We know it worked off the field, getting people interested in the program. Year three has to start to put something in the win colunm. I truly hope we will see that. There are of course things I'm not fond of regarding TD decisions...(Tune getting playing time instead of Meager, Burning Riley's red shirt at WR while scholarship WR's sit on the bench, Dickey players shelved, practices off-limits, etc...) but we have to have faith as Fans and Alums that TD knows what he is doing? We really have no choice. So I say let year three tell the story for both TD and Coach DeLoach. I'm not asking for a national championship, just a noticeable improvement. Coach DeLoach has already proven he can do that, so yes... he gets a pass. The real question is.....

No need to say it.. you all know what was coming.

GMG!!!

So, no matter what has happened this year, or what happens from this point on, Deloach gets a pass because of what he did at UCLA? Blow outs happen when your offense does not score enough, but it is mostly because your defense did not stop the other team. Your points gives Dodge 2 and 1/2 recruiting classes, and Deloach gets two. Since none of us on this board has implemented a new offensive scheme nor implemented a new defensive system at the Div. 1 level, we pick year 3? We see what Dodge's offense did at the 5A level, what parts of it have done at Mizzou with the right players, what Tech has done the past couple of years with all the pieces of the puzzle in place, programs in our own conference running the spread, but we still want Dodge on the next bus out of town. And Med Pilot, not calling you out with this next comment, but all these folks who have these warm/fuzzy feelings for Dickey's players would not even remember their names if we were 7 and 2 & in contention for the conference championship this year. Deloach isn't playing many of them on defense either, not a word of criticism, but Dodge should be on offense and is roundly criticized for not doing so. We would instead be saying what has happened to these players is just part of it when you change coaches and go in a different direction.

You know, of all the coaches that have been hired since Fry, only one has moved from UNT to another head coaching position in a Div. 1 program. Why don't we for once give somebody at least 5 years to build a solid foundation? When you are realistic where this program is in comparison to other schools our size, we have nothing to lose. No, we want somebody else to walk in here and build a hurricane proof house with no foundation.