Tuesday's Practice Notes

calvin

I was able to stop by Fouts and watch about 50 minutes of practice.

When I got there they were scrimmaging but they were doing situational type stuff. Working on 2nd and medium and 3rd and medium, and different stuff like that. Nothing spectactular here. I saw about 15 plays and not one run play, I was hoping to see Micah and Cam and Dunbar but I saw all passes. The first team completed nothing but short passes and Vizza hit Micah on a screen that might have scored but they blew the whistle. The Mosley screen was the highlight. The second team struggled a little bit. Riley didnt complete a pass on about 4 attempts and he was under heavy pressure. One thing that I noticed that excited me was that the defense was stemming a lot and gave a different look on every play. When I mean stemming, the LB's would be up at the line like they were going to blitz and then before the snap they would move back in position, same with the db's they were moving back and forth, showing man then getting back in zone, and the d-lineman were sliding and showing different looks everytime. I was real interested to see what we were doing on defense and we really mixed it up. One play we liked like a 4-3, next play a 3-4 and we even had a nickel package at one time. Without a doubt our defense will be a lot better this year. Also Deloach was coaching his butt off, he was into every play and he isnt afraid to call guys out. I dont remember him being that animated on every play when he was here in the past.

One thing that stuck out to me was Vizza. I think he is going to be special, it may not be this year but he is going to win a lot of games for us at some point in his career. Just the way he handles himself and some of the throws he made during the scrimmage and 7 on 7 really caught my eye. I am glad we have him and not Nevada.

Only thing that scares me is our O-line and D-line. I just dont know about them. I think we have the skill guys on both sides of the ball but it doesnt mean much if you dont have the guys up front. They will be the difference in us going 3-9 or 6-6 or better.

One thing I forgot to add was Fitzgerald is a stud. He made a great catch over the middle in some traffic. Also Chase Baine made a couple of nice grabs. We are pretty dang good at WR. Roberson looks like a beast out there, he didnt really do anything but he is just so big. Also forgot to say that Antoine Bush looked good, he may be a suprise this year.