Rpi Update: 12/1/07

CMJ

A few other Sagarin tidbits.... Oklahoma State moves up to #56... geez the Big 12 teams sure get a ton breaks/chances/benefits of the doubt in the ratings, though I am happy to see it since we beat them.... South Alabama moved up to #87, while Western Kentucky is #81. Poor 'ole New Orleans drops to #160. Ark-Little rock is only #162, but their strength of schedule is extremely low.

Guest GrayEagleOne

please pardon my complete ignorance of college basketball, But what the heck is RPI and Sagarin?

I was boxing in college and I guess i might have know at one point but it was probably knocked out of my head at some point.

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index. It is a formula devised by the NCAA based on not only the games that you've won but also how well your opponents and your opponents' opponents have done. It is based on games against Division 1 foes only and is divided into four categories...wins and losses against 1-50; 50-100; 100-200; and over 200. We are currently rated #23 in the RPI.

Sagarin Ratings were devised by MIT graduate Jeff Sagarin and are based on some mathemtical formula and I believes includes all games against NCAA opponents but not NAIA. I don't buy into his ratings that much but USA Today publishes his ratings so they are the most visual for the average fan.

To me the most meaningful are the Power Rat5ings. There are several based on win/losses and strength of schedule. On one popular Power Ratings Index we are #68.

I think that's pretty representative as to where we actually stand in the eyes of the experts.

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index. It is a formula devised by the NCAA based on not only the games that you've won but also how well your opponents and your opponents' opponents have done. It is based on games against Division 1 foes only and is divided into four categories...wins and losses against 1-50; 50-100; 100-200; and over 200. We are currently rated #23 in the RPI.

Sagarin Ratings were devised by MIT graduate Jeff Sagarin and are based on some mathemtical formula and I believes includes all games against NCAA opponents but not NAIA. I don't buy into his ratings that much but USA Today publishes his ratings so they are the most visual for the average fan.

To me the most meaningful are the Power Rat5ings. There are several based on win/losses and strength of schedule. On one popular Power Ratings Index we are #68.

I think that's pretty representative as to where we actually stand in the eyes of the experts.

Pomeroy has UNT at a #25 RPI rating and #67 in their rating system.

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php