Oklahoma Women Thump Nt 79-42

OldTimer

Oklahoma women thump North Texas, 79-42

09:52 PM CST on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. – Courtney Paris got back in the double-double groove with 19 points and 22 rebounds to lead No. 9 Oklahoma to a 79-42 win against North Texas on Tuesday night in the Sooners' home opener.

After having her double-double streak snapped at 64 consecutive games in Oklahoma's last outing against Mississippi State, it took Paris just barely over one half of play to get there against the Mean Green (5-3).

The reigning Associated Press player of the year had 11 rebounds in the first half and got her 11th point on a lay-up just over a minute into the second half. Soon after, Oklahoma (3-2) went on a 15-0 run that featured seven points from freshman Danielle Robinson and two 3-pointers from Jenna Plumley, with the second one stretching the Sooners' lead to 66-30.

Plumley made 5-for-9 from 3-point range and scored 15 points, Amanda Thompson added 11 points and Robinson ended up with 10 as Oklahoma snapped North Texas' five-game winning streak. Paris had 10 offensive rebounds to match her career high.

Jo Hall scored 13 and Amber Jackson added 11 to lead the Mean Green, who missed all 11 3-point attempts and committed 24 turnovers. The Sooners had 26 turnovers of their own.

Oklahoma forced North Texas into turnovers on its first three possessions and shot out to a 14-0 lead in its first game at the Lloyd Noble Center since its final exhibition three weeks earlier. The Sooners opened the season with four straight neutral-site games, with the first three against ranked opponents.

Plumley seemed to be back in her comfort zone, making a pair of 3-pointers in the opening spurt on her way to a second straight strong performance from outside. After starting the season going 4-for-20 from the field, Plumley is 9-for-17 in her last two games.

I have to admit, I figured the margin of defeat would be larger than that.

Agreed. I thought they might double us, or hit closer to 100. Looks like our D play went better than expected. Interesting that they had more turnovers than us. That's something to keep building on.

On the other hand, missing all 11 3's either indicates their defensive strength or our propensity to take long, little-chance shots, which I also saw against Midwestern. If we don't have long-range accuracy, why not stop trying them?

All in all, not a memorable outing, but OU is the national No. 9 team.

Agreed. I thought they might double us, or hit closer to 100. Looks like our D play went better than expected. Interesting that they had more turnovers than us. That's something to keep building on.

On the other hand, missing all 11 3's either indicates their defensive strength or our propensity to take long, little-chance shots, which I also saw against Midwestern. If we don't have long-range accuracy, why not stop trying them?

All in all, not a memorable outing, but OU is the national No. 9 team.

**Our defense did play rather well at times - especially in the 1st half

**We were jacking up ill advised 3's - but that was partially because nearly everytime we threw the ball inside they'd steal it or block our shots

Definitely not a memorable one.

After watching this game I came away with one thought - the women need a spot up shooter badly! I don't care if she can't dribble water out of her mouth or if she plays like Set Shot in the "Fish that Saved Pittsburg." As long as she can stand at the wing or baseline and shoot then she needs to be at NT.

Another need area - a shut down defender and there is one playing at LD Bell under Coach Tina Matthews (a NT alumna) I've been telling NT about. Her name is Eld'hah Kosawatuka. She went to state in the triple jump, all district in volleyball and all district in basketball. She is a shut down defender on the 1, 2, or 3 and can jump, run and clean the board. She's 5'10" and would help us tremendously. She had 19 pts vs The Colony last night, but scoring isn't her specialty.