Pre-season Hs Rankings

Cooley

Robert Hughes Jr, age 42, has been Dunbar's head coach for the last two seasons. Most likely the old man is available if junior needs any advice. He was watching Dunbar at the recent IAD shootout.

Cut & paste from Jet Magazine:

May 16, 2005

After 47 years of inspiring others and setting records, Robert Hughes, the nation's all-time winningest boys basketball coach, has announced his retirement.

Hughes, 76, who began his coaching career at Fort Worth's (TX) I.M. Terrell and then Dunbar for the last 31 seasons, leaves with 1,333 wins and a combined five state titles, including one in 2003.

"It's time to do the Ray Charles. I'm going to hit the road, Jack," Hughes said. "I'm in great health; I've been doing this for 47 years. It's time to take a walk."

Hughes said the decision to retire was difficult, but not worrisome. "I don't have any fear about it. It was a great ride."

He decided his wife had been punished enough, and now the couple, married 48 years, plan to do lots of traveling. "I'm now the official unpaid chauffeur and go-fer for my wife," Hughes said.

As soon as I posted I had the feeling that somewhere in the recesses of my mind I forgot about Hughes' retirement...but thank you Buford for the article and clarification...the elder Hughes was a great coach...played against him numerous times and I always admired his passion and fire.