Mean Green Sightings

keith

The family and I just got back from The Bahamas where we went for our spring break. My son wore his NT hat (a lot) and that usually spawned a conversation or two in the hotel elevator or just walking around...."Hey, are you from Denton?, What's going on a North Texas these days? My uncle/sister/brother/cousin, etc. goes to or went to North Texas"....that sort of thing.

I also ran into a guy in the buffet line with a Florida Atlantic shirt on. Turned out his son played linebacker for them the last two years. He was upbeat on the program and felt that with the fertile recruiting ground in Texas and Florida that the Florida schools, North Texas and the Sun Belt in general would continue to improve. Nothing earth shattering there, but it was an interesting conversation while we waited for our omlettes.

One day (again due to my son's hat) a girl stopped us and asked if we were Mean Green fans. Turns out her brother currently plays on the football team. We had a nice conversation with her. She reports that her brother is extremely excited about the new coaching staff and says everything is like night and day compared to the last two years.

There you go, the Mean Green Bahamas report.

Wear your NT gear, you never know who you may run into!

Keith

There are about 5 former UNT students on my base, Seattle area, and we all wear the Mean Green and North Texas shirts.

yea im a freshman this year at UNT and from just north of Seattle, when i went home this past winter break i wore my NT gear alot and had a couple people stop me and say they either graduated from their or had family going there presently

When I arrived in Amman, Jordan in the summer of 05, I noticed a person boarding a taxi, wearing a North Texas shirt that was tan or brown and I was shocked and then when I went to the cafeteria section of the airport, the guy asked me if I went to college in the U.S. and I said yes, North Texas, he replied that he was currently applying to go there to attend IELI, (Intensive Extensive Language Institue) at North Texas. When I told him I was from Denton, he said yup that is where North Texas is located.

We were taught in High School, that internationally Denton is more recognized than many large cities in the U.S. to people outside the U.S. because of the many international students who have attended UNT in the past and their families and friends are familiar with Denton.

I used to get all giddy when I got recognition in Chicago, but these stories are amazing.

The only one I have is when I moved to Los Angeles I looked at one apartment complex in LA and it came up in conversation that I was from Texas, the Dallas area and the lady showing the apartment said, "oh yea, I went to North Texas in Denton, do you know it?" I love these stories. I can't get enough.

There's hardly a month that goes by where I don't run into someone with a NT connection in LA. Whether it's in a record store, in a grocery line, or at the airport. My favorite is probably when I was crossing the street to get to a movie theater once(I think to see Troy) and some car that was stopped at a red light started honking at me. I was like "WTF is his problem", but the guy rolled down his window and flashed the claw. It took me about 2 seconds to figure what the hell he was doing. He yelled out "Did you goto to North Texas?", and I said yeah, and before we could continue the light turned but he gave me a big grin wave as he drove off. :D

Edited by CMJ