3* Small Forward Visited Nt Last Weekend

OldTimer

Tristan Thompson ’07

6’4 185lbs

Angleton, Texas

Honors:

Offers from NT, UH, Akron, NMSt, UTEP, Wichita St. Visited NT last weekend along with his mother, on way to Akron then Wichita St,

Never heard of Brewster? more than 100 schools have visited their campus , they have sent 23 playes to NCAA Div 1 schools in the last 3 years. Brewster Academy is located in New Hampshire.

2006 McDonald's Al-American Nominee- Texas

#18th ranked senior in State of Texas as senior – TexasHoops.com

Team Captain- Angleton High School (TX)

Team MVP – Angleton High School (TX)

2006 First Team All County and All Region

2006 First Team Class AAAA All-State Selection- TX

2006 All Tournament Team Selection- TX

2006 District and County Player of the Year

Led Angleton to 1st State Tournament Appearance

Texas high school record holder for made free-throws in season

Selected to Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Game in San Antonio

Adidas All Star Game in Houston and Faith 7 Bowl game in Oklahoma

Links:

Cooley what do you know about these 3 players? Are they D1 players and does NT have a chance at any of them?

Leonard Donnell 6-5 Dallas Lincoln

Murray Shaw 6-4 DeSoto

Kevin King 6-5 Schertz Clemens

I'm sorry, what does Brewster Academy have to do with this kid from Angleton High?

Academies and prep Schools are playing a larger role in recruiting each year.

Some players attend these schools after graduating from high school and meeting all NCAA requirements. They want an additional year of maturity before playing at the college level, or they are looking to draw the interest of higher-profile programs than they were able to attract after finishing their senior year.

Some non-NCAA qualified players will choose a prep school instead of a junior college.

There have been rumors that a booster will make a large, tax-exempt contribution to a prep school or a prep school related AAU team and in return the coach steers the player to the booster's school.

I have read on Texas Hoops message boards (not always a reliable source) that there is a prep school in Houston where the only students are basketball players. They play basketball 6 hours a day and study the SAT and TAKS for one hour.

For more on NCAA player procurement click on Washington Post series of stories. Links to other stories in the series can be found in the center of the page.

Of course, most prep schools are legitimate. I googled Brewster Academy and Massanutten Military Academy. They are both old institutions that seem to be 100% real prep schools.

Landing Thompson would be a major boon to this program. Prep school players are typically more mature and more college-ready because they've had that intermediate level of experience between high school and college. Brewster has produced some solid players in the past few years who have typically been solid role guys at big programs and counted on players at the mid-major level:

Damion Grant 6'11 260 North Carolina

Armon Gates 6'3 215 Kent State

Joel Smith 6'4 195 Washington

Cederick Middleton 6'0 180 Akron

Adrian Joseph 6'7 205 Virginia

Chris Lutz 6'2 190 Purdue

Weyinmi Efejuku 6'5 205 Providence

Jeff Adrian 6'8 225 Connecticut

Xavier Silas 6'5 195 Colorado

Will Harris 6'6 230 Virginia

Mike Freeman 6'8 220 Hampton

This is a list of the players who have passed through Brewster since 2001 who have made an impact on a significant college basketball program. Jeff Adrian is a star at UCONN; Lutz was all freshman Big 10; Silas averaged 13 ppg at CU; the others we're either starters or key reserves. Brewster produces good basketball players...and seemingly quality individuals as there is no record of any of these players being in trouble or even headaches to their respective clubs. If Thompson is anywhere near the level of these players...he is a steal and a huge recruit for us.

Cooley what do you know about these 3 players? Are they D1 players and does NT have a chance at any of them?

Leonard Donnell 6-5 Dallas Lincoln

Murray Shaw 6-4 DeSoto

Kevin King 6-5 Schertz Clemens

I don't think Donnell or Shaw are D1 prospects. (at least Sunbelt quality) Shaw played huge for DeSoto all year in the absence of their star F/C Nate Gibbs (leg injury all year) Donnell was the 3 best player on Lincoln's team. (Richard Jones, A&M Commerce) and Charles Brame.

Don't know anything about Kevin King

April 17, 2007

Justin Young

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Brewster Academy wing Tristan Thompson closed out his season on a high note and now he is seeing the fruits of his labors. The 6-foot-5, 185-pound small forward from Angleton, Texas is in the middle of his visit tour and hopes to have a college home in the near future.

Tristan Thompson is in the home stretch of his recruitment.

The Texas native returned to the Lone Star State over the weekend and visited North Texas. Thompson said it was a good trip.

"It was a good visit overall," he said. "I was there with my mom, who flew up (from the Houston area) so we got to see it together. It was just a good visit."

Thompson, a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, is en route to Akron on Tuesday.

"Akron has been on me for a while," Thompson said. "They came on towards the end of the season and they've always stayed in touch and always text message me when they can. They've been out to a couple of my games and we set up the visit."

From Akron, Thompson will visit Wichita State. Before Mark Turgeon left for Texas A&M, Thompson had originally planned a visit to the Missouri Valley Conference school last weekend. Those plans were obviously changed but Thompson said he is still considering the Shockers because of an existing relationship with new head coach Gregg Marshall.

"He called me the same day he got the job and it worked out well because he recruited me when he was at Winthrop so I knew him already," Thompson said. "We went ahead and rescheduled the visit."

With the coaching changes, quick visits and the signing period in session, Thompson said he is ready to find some resolution to his recruitment.

"I'm ready to put my signature on the paper and send it in," he said. "I want to get this over with."

April 17, 2007

Justin Young

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Brewster Academy wing Tristan Thompson closed out his season on a high note and now he is seeing the fruits of his labors. The 6-foot-5, 185-pound small forward from Angleton, Texas is in the middle of his visit tour and hopes to have a college home in the near future.

Tristan Thompson is in the home stretch of his recruitment.

The Texas native returned to the Lone Star State over the weekend and visited North Texas. Thompson said it was a good trip.

"It was a good visit overall," he said. "I was there with my mom, who flew up (from the Houston area) so we got to see it together. It was just a good visit."

Thompson, a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, is en route to Akron on Tuesday.

"Akron has been on me for a while," Thompson said. "They came on towards the end of the season and they've always stayed in touch and always text message me when they can. They've been out to a couple of my games and we set up the visit."

From Akron, Thompson will visit Wichita State. Before Mark Turgeon left for Texas A&M, Thompson had originally planned a visit to the Missouri Valley Conference school last weekend. Those plans were obviously changed but Thompson said he is still considering the Shockers because of an existing relationship with new head coach Gregg Marshall.

"He called me the same day he got the job and it worked out well because he recruited me when he was at Winthrop so I knew him already," Thompson said. "We went ahead and rescheduled the visit."

With the coaching changes, quick visits and the signing period in session, Thompson said he is ready to find some resolution to his recruitment.

"I'm ready to put my signature on the paper and send it in," he said. "I want to get this over with."

Seems we're the only school without a pre-existing relationship.