Fying High Despite Loss

MeanGreen61

Flying high despite loss

09:39 AM CDT on Saturday, March 17, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — University of North Texas officials have spoken all week about what a huge boost the school has received thanks to its men’s basketball team qualifying for the NCAA Tournament.

For a few fleeting moments Friday, the Mean Green appeared as if it might put the school in an even bigger spotlight.

UNT hung close with the heavily favored University of Memphis in a first-round game at New Orleans Arena before the Tigers pulled away late in the second half for a 73-58 win. The loss ended a memorable season for the Mean Green and its fans, more than a hundred of whom traveled to New Orleans to see the team play in its first NCAA Tournament game since 1988.

“I am extremely proud of the team,” UNT fan Emmitt Jackson said. “No one gave North Texas a chance in this game and we didn’t lose it until the end.”

UNT trailed by just six points late in the second half when Memphis went on a run and appeared to put away the Mean Green by grabbing a 59-42 lead with just over seven minutes left.

UNT made one last surge and cut its deficit to nine points twice, the last time on a Ben Bell layup with 4:11 remaining.

The Mean Green couldn’t complete the rally, ending the season of arguably the best team in UNT basketball history. UNT finished with a school-record 23 wins behind a veteran roster that reached several individual milestones.

Senior guard Calvin Watson finished his career as the Mean Green’s all-time leader in three-point shots made in both a season (90) and a career (208) while head coach Johnny Jones jumped to third in UNT history with 86 wins.

UNT senior guard Kendrick Davis said he believed the Mean Green would keep its season going with an upset win over Memphis, but will look back fondly on playing on a team that will leave a lasting legacy.

“God blessed me and my team to reach this point,” Davis said. “Not a lot of people can say they played in the NCAA Tournament.”

UNT qualified for the tournament with an unexpected run late in the season. The Mean Green had lost three of five heading into its regular season finale at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

The Mean Green won that game on a last-second three-point shot from Davis and went on to sweep four games in the Sun Belt Conference tournament. The run changed life dramatically for the Mean Green.

UNT, which played in front of just 409 fans in the finals of the Sun Belt tournament, suddenly became the hot story in the Dallas area. The Mean Green was featured on national news broadcasts and in newspapers across the state.

UNT headed into its game against Memphis hoping to add another chapter to its memorable tale, but came up short against a national power. The loss ended a season the Mean Green’s players as well as their coaches and fans said they enjoyed.

“Overall, I am proud of our basketball team,” Jones said. “We played hard.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Print E-mail this article Forums

I'm famous....and exhausted. Stayed for all four games yesterday and then drove all the way home.

Let me say two things before I collapse though. First, if our team finds a shooter to replace Calvin's points and a backup point guard we will be HELL to deal with in the belt. Second, Florida is FOR REAL. As impressive as they looked on tv they looked 10 times that good in person.

I'm famous....and exhausted. Stayed for all four games yesterday and then drove all the way home.

Let me say two things before I collapse though. First, if our team finds a shooter to replace Calvin's points and a backup point guard we will be HELL to deal with in the belt. Second, Florida is FOR REAL. As impressive as they looked on tv they looked 10 times that good in person.

Emmitt,

Look out for my main main Collin Dennis to step in at the 2 next year and line it up. The kids can flat out shoot the rock. His shooting is as good as C Wat or Chris Davis.

Next year's starters:

Bell

Collin Dennis

Sturns

Q

Wooden

Mangrum to relieve Dennis and Sturns off Bench, Dennis can also play some point if need be. We'll have small quick guards and a powerful front court. Pretty exciting!!!

If Dennis really is that kinda sniper, we are SET next year. I was worried since we're losing Davis and Watson.

ZNQHYJBJNUYPPHA.20060927161111.jpg

Collin Dennis

# 3

Guard - G

Height: 6-2 Weight: 185

Junior

Previous Affiliations

South Florida

North Richland Hills, TX

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 09/27/2006

NORTH TEXAS

Dennis will have to sit out the 2006-07 season due to NCAA transferring rules, but will have two years of eligibility remainging with the Mean Green.

South Florida

As a freshman at South Florida, Dennis scored a season-high 25 points on 7-of-15 shooting from the field against UAB ... He also scored 21 points on 8-of-10 shooting against UTA ... He added double-figure scoring games against Southern Miss, Tulane and Stetson as well ... Dennis made his first career start against Michigan and also proved he was a clutch player, hitting 6-of-6 free throws against Eastern Carolina in the final 1:37 ... Dennis followed his impressive freshman season up by starting seven games as a sophomore while competing in 16 outings, where he averaged 4.4 points, 2.0 assists and 1.2 rebounds per game ... Dennis scored a season-high 11 points against Rutgers, posted 10 points at Cincinnati and scored eight points against Connecticut.

Richland High School

The four-year letterman at Richland High School was the team captain his junior and senior seasons ... In addition to his 23 points per game, Dennis also averaged five rebounds and four assists per game his senior campaign, earning him second team all-state honors ... He averaged 24 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game as a junior after averaging 15 points and three rebounds as a sophomore ... Dennis played at the Nike All-America Camp in the summer of 2003 and was also impressive at a summer camp in Las Vegas.

PERSONAL

Son of Carol Dennis ... Born January 31, 1986 in Miami.