Fw*telegram George Expected At Unt

OldTimer

Former Haltom HS FB coach Clayton George has gone through the application process at NT and is expected to be the first member of new NT coach TD's staff, a university spokesman said.

AD RV, who is helping facilitte early hires for TD while he finishes as Carroll's HC, did not return a phone call. Former NTQB Mitch Maher, who played with George, then NT's QB/receivers coach. George did not return phone calls.

Here is the full story.

Former Haltom head football coach Clayton George has gone through the application process at North Texas and is expected to be the first member of new UNT coach Todd Dodge’s staff, a university spokesperson said.

Athletic director Rick Villarreal, who is helping facilitate early hires for Dodge while he finishes as Carroll’s head coach, did not return a phone call. Former UNT quarterback Mitch Maher, who played with George from 1991-93, confirmed George will join Dodge’s staff.

On Tuesday, the Birdville school district announced in a release that George had “resigned his position [at Haltom] with BISD to take a coaching position at the University of North Texas.”

In 1992 and ’93, George, a receiver, and Maher were coached by Dodge, then UNT’s quarterback/receivers coach. George did not return phone calls.

When did Mitch Maher become spokesperson/info-source for the current coaching regime? :huh:

When did Mitch Maher become spokesperson/info-source for the current coaching regime? :huh:

Mitch is a friend of both Clayton and Todd Dodge, an he was somebody they thought they could get a quote out of.

Edited by GreenBat

Hey Silvereagle,

Great question! I never intended to be. That was the case of an interview about Steve Kragthorpe gone bad! I cleared it up with Coach Dodge and visited with the reporter about it.

All is well.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Hey Mitch!!! Its always nice to hear from former players. I'll always enjoy your veiwpoints and thoughts.

With TD hopefully going to be here for a LONG time , Will you be sad in a few years when all your passing records will be out the door ?? ;)

Take Care

Hey Silvereagle,

Great question! I never intended to be. That was the case of an interview about Steve Kragthorpe gone bad! I cleared it up with Coach Dodge and visited with the reporter about it.

All is well.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Understand. Been there. Unfortunately, under completely different circumstances though(Ramone-gate).

Looking forward to more participation by you and other former North Texas athletes. ;)

NT03,

Yep! I was actually a closet "Don't hire Coach Dodge!" fanatic... for the sake of my records! Just kidding. I couldn't be happier that he's at UNT.

It is fun to hold the records, but I'm well aware that they'll be gone very soon.

Can't get the Southlake game up here tonight (Memphis Grizzlies!). Headed to a buddy's to watch Tulsa.

Take care,

Mitch Maher