New Coach

Eagle9297v2

He climbed the ladder at Carter for 12 years before becoming top dog. Leaving after just two seasons makes me wonder whether he quit, they soured on him or he soured on them.

If my memory is correct, he was the first head coach to replace the legendary Freddie James. Those were some big shoes to fill.

Some of you might remember me from posts a few years ago.  I was Eagle9297 then.  Clever new nickname I know.

Anyway, there is a leading candidate for the Head Coach slot that I havent seen mentioned here and I thought you should know he has made the finalist list.

Bruce Chambers from UT.  He is the Tight Ends coach and recruiting coordinator.

My sources say he is the leading candidate at this point.

By the way, I continue to uphold my pledge to never use the emoticons.  Some things are just wrong.

The DRC would differ with your source on who the leading candidates are. Have your source call their source.

If my memory is correct, he was the first head coach to replace the legendary Freddie James.  Those were some big shoes to fill.

You're right. Here's a story about Chambers and the other three short-term coaches who were between James and Allen Wilson.

Link

Chambers' teams lost in the first round of the playoffs, as did the next three successors.

It appears from the story that if you didn't win a playoff game, the most you'd get at Carter is two seasons.

You're right. Here's a story about Chambers and the other three short-term coaches who were between James and Allen Wilson.

Link

Chambers' teams lost in the first round of the playoffs, as did the next three successors.

It appears from the story that if you didn't win a playoff game, the most you'd get at Carter is two seasons.

no emoticons, chambers has developed some pro talent. if i were a top recruit that would be a definate +.

Anyone can recruit to Texas.

I want someone who can recruit to North Texas.

Also – I’m concerned with what type of splash he (Chambers) will make with the media. Remember, the media thinks that Dickey was the best thing to happen to North Texas. I think a name coach would help change that perception. A coach like Price or Dodge would mean something to the press, to the alumni and to the people we are recruiting.

Other questions about Chambers are:

1) How good of a coach is he – in terms of X & Os?

2) What kind of offense would he run?

3) How involved has he been with UNT since graduating?

4) How is he as a public speaker?

I don’t know if Price or Dodge would come to UNT but I hope RV is has contacted them.

Chambers could be a great coach but I think his hiring would be rather “ho hum” and largely ignored by the casual fan that we need to make in roads with.

He climbed the ladder at Carter for 12 years before becoming top dog. Leaving after just two seasons makes me wonder whether he quit, they soured on him or he soured on them.

Well to me it's: Do I want to be the head of a mouse or the tail of a lion? Maybe he called tails.