UTSA

DeepGreen

Sounds like another rumor to me for UTSA to move up that fast.

1. UTSA, IMHO, would stay where they are in the SLC in all sports including football. CUSA is maxed out in FB teams now.

2. Again, IMHO, UTSA would not just start up a FB program that would be immediately accepted into C-USA or any other D-1A program.

3. If something like this were to happen UTSA would probably remain in the Southland Conference before moving up to D-1A.

4. The SBC will add WKU next and probably a couple of other D-1AA schools before taking UTSA.

This kind of like saying that the Big East is "thinking" about taking SFA.

UTSA

From the CUSA board. dry.gif

"enrollment tops 28,000 students, making UTSA the fourth largest university in Texas, Buskirk and others remain optimistic that change is coming."

That part of the article is obviously erroneous (UT, A&M, UNT, Houston), but I wouldn't put it past them in coming up with a D-1 program in the near-term. Without even considering our own Troy, FAU, and FIU, look how quickly schools like UAB, USF, and even UCF went from basically nothing to members of major conferences. Maybe we need to start emulating the strategic planning of schools which have been playing football 70-80 years less than we have. For some reason, newcomers to D-1 football seem to be a lot better than old North Texas at coming up with a plan to succeed at the game of big-time college football. It's really kind of sad. mad.gif

I hope to see UTSA field a football team soon. The university has grown past its "commuter" image and with no other D-1 team in SA, it should succeed. However, it would take years before they were even SBC worthy much less CUSA worthy. I for 1 would like to see them grow to a SBC level and bring some good football into San Antonio. One thing they have going for them over Texas State is that they are a little further from the large shadow cast by the Longhorns. Sure, there are still plenty of Longhorn and Aggie faithful here; but there's definitely enough room for football to succeed in San Antonio and grow into a respectable program.