how much is a national title worth

bigrobdsp

I think it is called "Band-Wagoning."

Band wagon fans climb on the band wagon when the team is winning. This creates an unsafe condition where the band wagon is overweight and unstable. When the team starts losing and the band wagon fans start jumping off, this can cause the band wagon to crash in a most ugly way.

This crash is especially dangerous for the "true fans" of the team because they are so loyal they will not jump off the band wagon. These are the fans who are hurt the most in the crash.

I was in the University Co-Op off "The Drag" this past week and the place was a complete madhouse. Plenty of folks I knew never attended my school. Those people can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. It's always nice to have new fans but they need to understand that they're supposed to be fans of the Longhorns, not the Aggies. mad.gif

It seems that half of college clothing nowdays has is burnt-orange or white with a longhorn on it. At least it seems that way in West Texas. One look at most of them and you realize that have neverfinished ( maybe attended) any college.

It's not the band wagon crash that hurts the true fans of a team, it is the fact that the team is losing that hurts. Honestly, if you are a fan of a team, does it really bother you more when people jump off the wagon, or the fact that your favorite team is losing? In the case of the Cowboys, I know I could care less about other fans, whether they be bandwagon or not. I am pissed if the team is losing. I am happy if they are winning.

We live in a disposable society. Teams, be they college or pro, are just brands for people to consume. Right now, the Longhorn brand is on top. They are winning, and people like to affiliate themselves in any way with a winning image. If they fall, some other team will be there to pick things up. Watch our for Notre Dame in a year or two. Imagine how many Shamrocks and Irish t-shirts and caps you'll see if they win a title.

It was fun to follow the Longhorns last year. It was a great story and Vince was incredible to watch. I follow all the local college teams. I want the Longhorns, Aggies, Sooners, Frogs and everyone else to do well. It makes things more interesting. There are also teams I want to see fail. The Raiders, Mustangs, Bears, and Cougars. I wish failure on all of them.

I'd love to see our beloved Mean Green improve their program and move into a better conference. If this ever happened, I wouldn't be upset if more people attended games or wore T-shirts. It would be fun.