Soccer Chicks Win

DeepGreen

The report I received (from an eyewitness) is that MTSU had been grabbing and fouling and holding MM from the outset, and the referee was actually doing a decent job and calling fouls. Finally, after yet another hold (which was called a foul) MM just snapped and swung at the MTSU player. Not sure how well she connected. The referee really had no choice at that point but to red card MM. Obviously MTSU got what they were after, with USA benefiting also.

It was a disappointing reaction from such a veteran player as MM.

Anyway, as Hedlund said, this is a great opportnuity for the team to show that they are not a one player team. A win against USA on their pitch without MM will certainly be an accomplishment. laugh.gif

Marin ejected in UNT win

NCAA’s leading scorer will miss SBC semifinals

11/07/2002

Staff report

MOBILE, ALA. — North Texas got two goals from Melinda Pina and a very unwelcome turn of events in a 4-1 victory over Middle Tennessee in the opening round of the Sun Belt Conference Women’s Soccer Tournament Wednesday.

Marilyn Marin

Marilyn Marin, the nation’s leading scorer in NCAA Division I, received a red card in the 38th minute of the contest because of rough play. North Texas (13-4-1) not only had to play the rest of Wednesday’s game shorthanded, but will also be without Marin in Thursday’s semifinals as she serves an automatic one-game suspension.

"I was proud of the way the team played, especially being a [player] down," said UNT coach John Hedlund. "I think we played a man short for about 60 minutes. The team showed a lot of character. We’re just glad to get to the next day."

Hedlund said losing Marin, the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year, "hurts because she’s a tremendous player but at the same time I think the girls really wanted to show that they are not a one-man team."

Sophomore defender Caree Ridenour posted the game’s first goal in the 12th minute to give North Texas the early lead. Seven minutes later, Pina scored to make it 2-0.

Even with 10 players on the field, North Texas continued to dominate the attack and got a quick goal by midfielder Michelle Uselton, assisted by Pina, right after the start of the second half in the 46th minute. Pina scored in the 74th minute on a great one-on-one chance from 15 yards out to give North Texas a 4-0 cushion.

Middle Tenneesse ruined the shutout bid for North Texas when Lindsey Bopp scored off an assist on a corner kick by Laura Miguez in the 76th minute.

North Texas will face host South Alabama in the 7 p.m. semifinals Thursday.