phil steele's mag

edcollopy

I've been gone for a couple weeks, so you guys/gals may have already dissected his thoughts. I was suprised how much credit he gives Philip Graves. Touts him as one of the best linebackers in the country...top 50 I believe. Also has us listed in his top 12 of biggest turn around candidates...he is rarely wrong on these. Then again, going from 2-9 w/ alot of losses can easily be turned into 8-4 w/ alot of returning players.

Phil Steele- though cocky- is usually right on these types of things. Of course, it's not hard to figure out why the Mean Green weren't so mean last year. Good news though- it isn't hard to figure out why they'll have a huge turn around this year either!

Better QB play; healthy JaMo; more experienced lines (at least oLine); better defensive scheme to take advantage of our strengths; I believe the coaching shake up has resulted in better focus (getting Bleil back as DC is huge!); etc.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I've been gone for a couple weeks, so you guys/gals may have already dissected his thoughts.  I was suprised how much credit he gives Philip Graves.  Touts him as one of the best linebackers in the country...top 50 I believe.  Also has us listed in his top 12 of biggest turn around candidates...he is rarely wrong on these.  Then again, going from 2-9 w/ alot of losses can easily be turned into 8-4 w/ alot of returning players.

He treated Graves pretty kindly, ranking him #56 among th outside linebackers. He was also very knid to Brandon Monroe. He ranks him #46 among his top 53 inside linebackers (and he may not even start)! . He also ranks Lineberry #33 among the guards and Jamario #12 among the running backs. That's a pretty good haul for a team that he picks to finish #111 in his power poll. Steele picks us fourth in the Sun Belt. Yet, he has us in his Top 15 Most Improved in both Offensive Points and Total Defense. What's depressing is that the last several years he has correctly predicted our championships and our fall.

He treated Graves pretty kindly, ranking him #56 among th outside linebackers.  He was also very knid to Brandon Monroe.  He ranks him #46 among his top 53 inside linebackers (and he may not even start)! .  He also ranks Lineberry #33 among the guards and Jamario #12 among the running backs.  That's a pretty good haul for a team that he picks to finish #111 in his power poll.  Steele picks us fourth in the Sun Belt.  Yet, he has us in his Top 15 Most Improved in both Offensive Points and Total Defense.  What's depressing is that the last several years he has correctly predicted our championships and our fall.

I like Steele because of the vast amounts of information he provides on each team, but it is inaccurate to say that he has been all that on the mark with respect to the Sun Belt and to North Texas. He predicted us 2nd last year, which is not exactly where we ended up. In 2004 and 2003, he correctly picked us first, but for 2002 and 2001 he went all the way with MTSU. Also, his recruiting analysis has not been all that good. He only gave one of our recruiting classes a top conference ranking. All the others have been below that. In fact, given his love affair with MTSU and their recruiting classes, MTSU should have dominated the conference for at least 4 years.

I like Steele because of the vast amounts of information he provides on each team, but it is inaccurate to say that he has been all that on the mark with respect to the Sun Belt and to North Texas. He predicted us 2nd last year, which is not exactly where we ended up. In 2004 and 2003, he correctly picked us first, but for 2002 and 2001 he went all the way with MTSU. Also, his recruiting analysis has not been all that good. He only gave one of our recruiting classes a top conference ranking. All the others have been below that. In fact, given his love affair with MTSU and their recruiting classes, MTSU should have dominated the conference for at least 4 years.

Or maybe we have a better coach and less talent?

I don't have a problem with the ranking of Graves. He has the talent to be a top 50 LB. What he doesn't have on size and speed he makes up with heart. We haven't seen the best of Graves yet. This very well could be an amazing season for him.

Not to change the subject, but it was nice to read in this years DCTF that in their analysis of past recruiting classes our 2001 recruiting class ranked 4th in Texas.

Rick

What I love about PS is his writeups that are inadvertently hilarious.

Like from NM State:

At the beginning of the season, Mumme praised RB Muamar Ali (PS#184), but Ali found his way into Mumme's doghouse and was granted his release after only 2 carries ... NMSU's OLs had to learn a new system under Mumme and struggled in the opener against UTEP. In fact, against SJSU, 3 OLs were ejected.

I hope Phil Steele is correct because my son just got a scholarship last week from Kent State. He predicts KSU to possibly win the MAC east. They were terrible last year and won only one game, kind of like you guys. I wish things could have worked out for my son to stay close to home. I will say this, the Recruiting at NT sucks!! I would leave numerous messages to the athletic dept and they would never, ever (not even text message) return any of my calls. I even sent them a highlight reel of my son. We had a coach who went to HS with one of the coaches, and he tried to contact them, but still nothing. My son was rated top 20 LB in the state of texas. I know North Texas will play Akron (MAC) this year. I hope Akron wins that one to help keep the MAC a head of the Sun Belt conference. As you can see I'm a bit disappointed. By the way one of our WR from our school is heading there this year as a walk on 105. I wish him the very best. Good luck to Eric Lichty. He is going to be a very good player in due time.

I'm impressed with the amount of information in the magazine, but the constant self references to his past glories gives me tired head.

He also (IMO) is overrating OU, who is razor-thin in depth on the OL, and only another nagging injury away from having very little running game. Peterson has had a hard time staying healthy, and Bomar although improving, is still a question mark, in my book. Having said that, I think their defense is going to be awesome, and they are legitimate threats to win it all. I just don't think they can stay healthy over a full season.

He also (IMO) is overrating OU, who is razor-thin in depth on the OL, and only another nagging injury away from having very little running game.  Peterson has had a hard time staying healthy, and Bomar although improving, is still a question mark, in my book. 

Hmmm. Sounds like another team I follow. They wear green - maybe you've heard of them - the Mean Green? laugh.gifunsure.gif