Today's DMN freshman track star...

GMoney

UNT freshman soaring to new heights

After deciding on UNT, freshman wastes no time making an impact

08:19 PM CDT on Thursday, May 25, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – A little more than a year ago, Brandi Stanfield seemed to have her pick of colleges at which to continue her track career.

Two video game system boxes sat in the Pflugerville Connally senior's room, each filled with recruiting letters from coaches as close as Texas Tech, North Texas and Baylor and as far away as Miami and even New Hampshire.

It was from those boxes that Stanfield found the information that led her to make the decision to attend UNT, which she will represent this weekend at the NCAA Midwest Regional at the University of Texas.

The freshman is ranked fourth nationally and first in the region in the triple jump with a mark of 44-3 ½ .

"Everyone wondered why I came here," Stanfield said of UNT. "People asked if I was that successful right down the street from Texas, why didn't I go there or to another big school.

"I wanted to go to a school where I liked the people and wouldn't be just another number. I wanted to make a difference. This was a place I felt like I could do that."

Stanfield hasn't wasted any time in reaching that goal. She has earned All-America honors, become a Sun Belt Conference champion and an inspiration to the rest of the Mean Green.

UNT coaches made recruiting Stanfield a priority once they discovered what seemed like the right situation for her in Denton.

Stanfield wanted to major in criminal justice and stay in Texas, where she won three Class 4A state titles in the long jump, captured the triple jump as a senior and earned a spot on the USA Today All-USA high school track and field team.

"We knew that if we could get Brandi, she would have an immediate impact on our program," said UNT assistant coach Laurie McElroy, who recruited Stanfield and coaches the Mean Green jumpers. "We also found out that she was interested in criminal justice, and we have a great program. I thought this would be the perfect place for her."

Stanfield had visits lined up to UNT, Baylor, Miami and Louisiana Tech, but cut her tour short following her first two trips.

McElroy talked to Stanfield the day after she returned from a trip to Baylor and accepted a commitment from an athlete she described as her top recruit in four seasons with the Mean Green.

Stanfield has lived up to expectations. She won the Sun Belt Conference indoor triple jump title and finished 11th at the NCAA Indoor National Championships in March to earn Indoor All-America honors.

UNT coach Rick Watkins said Stanfield has the potential to win an NCAA title.

"Brandi has the height and ideal size for a jumper, but the best part about her is she is a fierce competitor who hates to lose," Watkins said. "When she puts that kind of focus into training is when things will click for her."

Stanfield has made an impact for UNT not only through her performance, but also by how she has increased the team's expectations.

"Over the last couple of years, the coaches have been trying to raise our sights," UNT senior Deidra Wesley said. "Nationals are where it's at. When Brandi got there during the indoor season, we all realized that is what we should be shooting for every year."

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

BRANDI STANFIELD

Year: Freshman

Events: Long jump, triple jump

High school: Pflugerville Connally

In action: She is ranked fourth nationally in the triple jump with a mark of 44-3 ½ .

Briefly: Stanfield had no intention of trying out for the track team in seventh grade but her physical education teacher threatened to send her to the principal's office if she didn't run the 100-meter dash during tryouts. She made the team.

NCAA Midwest Regional, Friday-Saturday, University of Texas