More Soccer News- Mean Green 2, SMU 1

nortx9

Really surprised no one has jumped on this topic, but I'm gonna..... this makes for another good team UNT women have beaten in the Spring. Only real tail whippin' was to A & M early..... Steady play from defense and clutch scoring .... add the new talent and this team will be fast, deep, and have a solid game from back to front. Gonna look good wrapped around that new stadium....Maybe late round NCAA's?? Ya think?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Really surprised no one has jumped on this topic, but I'm gonna.....  this makes for another good team UNT women have beaten in the  Spring.  Only real tail whippin' was to A & M early..... Steady play from defense and clutch scoring ....  add the new talent and this team will be fast, deep, and have a solid game from back to front.  Gonna look good wrapped around that new stadium....Maybe late round NCAA's?? Ya think?

Well, I'd like to think but North Texas got zero votes for the Top 25 last year and, while I think that NT may pass SMU and UTEP this year I can't see them going very deep with Texas A&M in the mix. Texas could be another hill to climb. I'm hopeful that we can win at least one playoff game this time around and maybe by next year go a little deeper.

Hey nortx9, did you get a chance to go watch some Dallas Cup games?  Pizza Hut Park is a pretty nice stadium.

I did see some of the prelim games, but none in the stadium. I have been to several FCD games, and it is a really great venue for soccer. I know a member of the management team with Hunt Sports Group. Soon there will also be a concert schedule released for national music acts (think Nokia or Smirnoff), and they are trying to set up some college games and additional international matches as well. I think this would be a great place to have a women's soccer tourney too, or an NCAA round (hint)? I think I'll drop that hint too. Maybe UNT/SMU women could square off here next year??

Pizza Hut Park would be a nice venue to host NCAA games. Aren't you ready for the World Cup? I have a feeling Brazil will end up winning the tournament yet again. The U.S has a good team but may surprise everybody if they can stay consistant and don't allow any goals right from the get go. FIFA has the U.S rank number 4 in the world! ohmy.gif

Pizza Hut Park would be a nice venue to host NCAA games.  Aren't you ready for the World Cup?  I have a feeling Brazil will end up winning the tournament yet again.  The U.S has a good team but may surprise everybody if they can stay consistant and don't allow any goals right from the get go.  FIFA has the U.S rank number 4 in the world!  ohmy.gif

I am ready to see the WC games, I just started reading up on the mid level teams to understand their strengths and weaknesses. You use the word consistent, and that is the key, particularly offensively. Arena seems to be uncomfortable with his depth options at forward. While we have good players and can strike quickly and in highlight fashion, as a unit they can struggle, and there is a lot of youth in that group. Still not sure if EJ is healthy, I think he has only one MLS goal this season. Twellman? Wolfe? Beasley has had limited work with the team. Key question is who will step up and assume leadership of this team, and I think that is also a big concern for Arena. Will it be Donovan? If you are interested, there is a very informative World Cup program running on FoxSports Soccer channel this month profiling a lot of players, teams, and behind the scenes efforts for 2006 WC. Sorry I can't remember the name of the program, but I saw it last Sunday, was real good. Hope you can find it and watch it.

I think Donovan should step up and be a leader. He is a great player and the best about him, he is a team player. It should be interested when they face the Czech republic in their first game. The team that scares me is Italy, for obvious reasons. But over all, I think the U.S will get into the second round as a 2nd seed. The only problem, they might face Brazil in the second round. sad.gif