does this make sence

WIFE2HOT4U

Third Quarter Rally Not Enough At Louisiana Tech

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 10/22/2005

Courtesy: Stephen Howard

Ja'Mel Branch and the Mean Green fell to Louisiana Tech 40-14 in Ruston.

Game Stats

Ruston, La. (10/22/05) – Despite a second half rally, the North Texas football team fell short against Louisiana Tech 40-14 at Joe Aillet Stadium.

The Bulldogs (3-3, 2-1) used a strong offensive showing in the second quarter to overwhelm the Mean Green (2-4, 2-1). Louisiana Tech quarterback Matt Kubik led the way, completing 16-of-19 passes for 231 yards and a touchdown by halftime.

The Bulldog defense also opened the game strong, limiting the Mean Green to 16 passing yards and 68 total yards in the first half.

However, the Mean Green offense came alive after halftime. Jamario Thomas returned the team’s first kickoff to the 43-yard line, igniting a 75-yard drive that culminated in a diving Brandon Jackson touchdown catch. The sophomore’s highlight-worthy 14-yard grab was the first touchdown of his career.

Patrick Cobbs showed why he is one of the most dangerous weapons in football on the next possession. The senior, who rushed for 108 yards against the Bulldogs, completed a 33-yard halfback pass to Johnny Quinn for the second touchdown pass of his career. The Cobbs-to-Quinn touchdown cut the score to 30-14 with just over four minutes remaining in the third.

The Mean Green defense tightened the clamps on the Bulldog offense in the second half, limiting Louisiana Tech to a pair of field goals in the third quarter. The Bulldogs, who threw for 231 yards in the first half, were limited to just 46 in the third.

The Mean Green, on the other hand, had 145 total yards in the third thanks to the efforts of Cobbs. The 2003 national rushing champion was able to scramble for 62 yards in the third frame alone.

The North Texas special teams once again turned in a solid performance. Punter Truman Spencer averaged just under 40-yards per punt, downing two inside the 20-yard line. Jamario Thomas and Cobbs were also impressive on kickoffs, busting returns for 39 and 37 yards respectively.

The Mean Green will return to action on Oct. 29 at Louisiana State.

"Jamario Thomas

returned the team’s first kickoff to the 43-yard line, igniting a 75-yard drive"

hmmmmmm 100-43=57 right?

© 2005 - University of North Texas. All rights reserved. Contact Us Privacy & Terms

Gotta hand it to Stephen Howard, UNT spin doctor extraordinare.  Hee could probably take two farts and make perfume!  biggrin.gif

Has the board taken to piling on PR staff as well - what would you write for a press release - this game blew and fire the coach? I know this is a novel concept for many on this board, but imagine if you had the (unenviable) job to find the positive in something as crummy as Saturday's game instead of inflamming the situation? Could you write more than a page. Good thing you don't handle media or any crisis situations.

I agree with many opinions on this board, but that is not what this about.

Looks like 57 and 75 got mistyped - and I think the title of this thread shows how easily that can happen - just my .02 and I do not mean for this to sound like one of those I love XXXX in the athletic dept posts that occasionally pop up for no real reason.

That was actually somewhat of a compliment, Scott. He seized on the only real positive in that game and tried his best to put some lipstick on the pig. That's his job. There COULD have been a rally with another timely score.

That was actually somewhat of a compliment, Scott.  He seized on the only real positive in that game and tried his best to put some lipstick on the pig.  That's his job.  There COULD have been a rally with another timely score.

I was not directing anything at you- your comment cracked me up - I think I misquoted who I was referencing.

You just touched on what a crappy job it must be to have the "sell" the onfield product this year to people not already invested in it. It'd almost be a fun exercise to see what different people on the board could come up with week after week for fake press releases, but odds are we'd all just end up fighting more over it when someone crosses the line.