Worst home loss in UNT history

UNT_playmaker

We don't have the luxuries that UT has.  If they went 0-fer this year they'd still be better off than us as a program.

True, but we might also admit that UT has had a much larger percentage of their Texas Exes that have $tepped up to the plate much more$o than our NT Exe$ have, too, as far as giving to the Longhorn Foundation (the UT version of the Mean Green Club) and showing up for football games. Our Mattress Mac would merely be one of hundreds of similar donors at UT-Austin. NT has many other Mattress Mac's out there and some of you know some of their names, but we have done a poor job of developing them as donors thru the decades, yet that is still a work in progress and my bet is that one or 2 of them (and thats all you need) will help us get our new stadium jump-started.

A BET? I would wager that UT probably sold out their next home game after that 66-3 UCLA blowout in Austin. At NT, one of the themes that has developed on this message board is the suggestion of how no one will come back for the Troy game, except most of us on this board, a hardy handful from Denton County, some DFW NT Exes and a whole bunch of NT freshmen. sad.gif I think we have some alums who almost wish for that to occur to be honest about it and you can read some posts and figure out who those Negative Neds are. That (to me) is the saddest part of all this. Seems the Tulsa loss has sorta' separated the wheat from the chafe in Mean Green Country.

In Texas, we learn early on the pecking order of college education in our Lone Star State and we should all know that we won't ever match the Permanent University Funded UT or TAMU programs in academics or athletics, but neither will a whole bunch of other Texas schools OR most in the Big 12 for that matter. Yet do those other Big 12 programs (like Texas Tech) just throw up their hands and quit trying because of that? Of course they don't, just like we won't.

Colorado University's head football coach Gary Barnett recently spoke about all the resources UT and TAMU had that his Boulder school will never have; but I haven't read anywhere that the CU Buffalos are folding up their tents because of that. So, why don't we accept our situation, dramatically improve it (as most of us would feel we are on those 200 acres at Eagle Point Campus) and just be the best that we can be?

As far as comparing NT to UT, we are not at their level across the board and that includes almost every aspect of the UNT constituency including (again) athletic fund-raising (our billfolds) and season ticket purchases (our billfolds again). blink.gif

What we are doing at our Eagle Point Campus has most of us excited and we have every right to be excited but FWIW, all we are doing is merely catching up with what our school should have been doing the last 25 years rather than trying to do it all at one time (as we seem to be doing). So in essence, we are in catch-up mode at NT with our athletic facilities, but when we do catch up, it will put NORTH TEXAS ahead of others and put us in a position as to move up as far as our campus leaders and those of us fans/alums decide the level we want it to be. The main barometer of that will ultimately be what kind of funds the Mean Green Club can raise (from us) and the sales of that most important base of season ticket sales--us again.

So at NT, it really seems to be what we as fans/alums want to $acrifice. I think some of our elect would be surprised how much more CUSA schools athletic budgets are than ours. So how we as alums/fans give and show up at games will always be the 2 key bell cows as to how far we allow this football program to go at NT. So its not always just about how our coaches or our football players are performing. We as NT alums/fans are just as big a part of all this as the 2 aforementioned and that might put a new and different perspective on all this that a few may have never given much thought to previously.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

While I don't know all North Texas scores through the ages, I recall us loosing to Drake by almost 50 points at home in 1972.

The differerence was that there were probably not more than 2,000 in the stands then. I don't know of that is better or worse!